Do Dumbo Rats have More Health Problems?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattikins

Perhaps a silly question, but a friend on mine just said that dumbo rats are more likely to be unhealthy and have more problems and more likely to have cancer.

I thought that they were simply different in their head shape and ear placement.

So can you all put this rumor to rest?

Thanks guys!!! :panic:

I too have never noticed any difference in health, but come to think about it, all my long living rats were all top eared. Weird...

Sadly animal crazes ("oooh I must have a blue dumbo!")often can wreck the health, temperament of the desired animal, as everyone (BYB's, rat mills, pet owners looking to make a buck, etc.) all jump on the bandwagon. Its all supply and demand. Think of the dalmation, now they often have serious health and temperament issues popping up regularly due in part to a movie :(

I've only had one dumbo, Remi and so far his health is similar to my standards. But, I do notice that Remi has a much more laid back attitude than my others but is that just personality or is it because he's dumbo, I don't know.

I haven't noticed any health differences.
But anytime you have inbreeding for recessive traits (like dumbo ears), you can get health problems.

I do know that if dumbo eared rats are bred to dumbo eared rats for a few generations, you get lots of health problems ... and unethical breeders and mills probably do this so all babies will be dumbo eared - instead of breeding dumbo eared rats to standard eared rats.

Oh Shelagh, that makes so much sense. Those very desirable dumbos and markings are just so over bred and over done, it makes sense that they are more sickly.

jorats said:
Oh Shelagh, that makes so much sense. Those very desirable dumbos and markings are just so over bred and over done, it makes sense that they are more sickly.

Oh, I hope my sweet boy Remi doesn't become sickly!

Linda said:
jorats said:

Oh, I hope my sweet boy Remi doesn't become sickly!

I think with the extra care we give our rats, they have a good shot at living longer and staying healthy.

SQ said:
I haven't noticed any health differences.
But anytime you have inbreeding for recessive traits (like dumbo ears), you can get health problems.

I do know that if dumbo eared rats are bred to dumbo eared rats for a few generations, you get lots of health problems ... and unethical breeders and mills probably do this so all babies will be dumbo eared - instead of breeding dumbo eared rats to standard eared rats.

It really isn't as simple as inbreeding for recessives or breeding dumbos to dumbos. The issue has more to do with inattentive or irresponsible breeding. A responsible, reputable, ethical breeder will track the health and longevity of their rats. If an issue shows up, they will work to eliminate that issue, even if it means ending that particular bloodline. They use inbreeding and linebreeding as a goal to achieve this. Inbreeding/linebreeding can be used to show problems that are in the line. It can also be used to eliminate those issues. Constant outcrossing does nothing to eliminate problems, it really only introduces new ones. The difference is, with outcrossing the issues can hide for many more generations than it will with inbreeding and linebreeding.

Irresponsible breeders don't go through this trouble. They breed any random rat to any other random rat. Sometimes those rats are related. Sometimes they aren't. Actually, come to think of it, most irresponsible breeders do NOT inbreed or linebreed, because it's "bad". They actually make a point to outcross, a lot. This simply introduces more issues. And because irresponsible breeders do NOT track the health of their rats (not lines, because you can't have a line with constant outcrossing), there is absolutely no attempt to eliminate these problems.

Dumbo rats in and of themselves have no problems just because they are dumbos. The problems are more associated with the genetics or rearing of the rats. Poor upbringing can affect the animal in the long run, even if they receive great care in their new homes. Health is a much more complicated issue than simply "oh this variety isn't healthy, that one is" or "if I give my rats good food they won't have problems". It is much more complicated than color genetics, and has to do with numerous genes that may not be simply dominant or recessive. It's a very technical matter to eliminate health problems, and may take a number of generations to achieve, but it can be done, through careful, tracked breeding.

In my personal experience, dumbos are no more healthier or friendlier than any other rat. They are also no less healthy or friendly than any other rat. The differences I have seen have more to do with rearing and genetics. Rats with a poor upbringing have been more likely to have health or temperament issues. Rats bred randomly with no mind to health or temperament are more likely to have health or temperament issues. This does not mean other rats are going to be perfect, but it does mean they have a greater chance.

I've heard about breeding dumbo to dumbo being a bad thing but honestly, I don't know how true this is. This was said over and over again by one particular breeder that I don't hold much confidence in.
Sorraia, do you think this is true? Dumbo to dumbo after many generation is actually bad? Or is it the general health of the line that might be bad?

I often cringe when I see people talking about "inbreeding" with rats. Its typical for a well read/educated breeder to use linebreeding to help solidify a line. Now the crappy breeders I cannot speak for. Its true that constant outcrosses does little but introduce new sets of problems that the breeder has to then work out or if they just dont care, they let it go and you end up with sickly and often ill tempered rats.

Dumbo to dumbo isnt a bad thing, well not with the right animals and knowledge of their lines and genetics. Myself Im only a pet owner, but I have spent alot of time learning about the boys and how they got the way they are :wink2: I spend the time and money for biopsies and necropsies when needed as well. Im curious and for the most part decently educated about genetics and health issues.

I only have a few breeder rats here now. At one point thats all I would take and I have learned the hard way that its not always the "best". I have watched what were supposed to be well bred animals throw cancer and CHF at less than a year old. I spent thousands trying to make life comfortable and to understand what was going on. It was a learning and heart breaking process for me.

For the record, my Urn is a dumbo and both of his parents were dumbos. He will be two in December and hasnt been sick a day in his life. :heart: :joy:

jorats said:
I've heard about breeding dumbo to dumbo being a bad thing but honestly, I don't know how true this is. This was said over and over again by one particular breeder that I don't hold much confidence in.
Sorraia, do you think this is true? Dumbo to dumbo after many generation is actually bad? Or is it the general health of the line that might be bad?

Honestly, I really don't think breeding dumbo to dumbo for a number of generations is bad, just because they are dumbo. If it is done and something bad comes of it, it's probably because there was something bad to begin with, the rats just happened to also be dumbo. Likely the same thing would have happened if the rats were standard.

Quick two cents...

My two dumbo rats, Ushi (female & over 2 years old, black/white berkshire variegated) and Devil (male & almost 2 years old, blue self) have been the healthiest rats I've owned thus far. Neither has had respiratory problems or any other infections. Ushi has had one benign mammary tumor removed and has another smallish one appearing. Ushi is suffering from hind-end degeneration but gets around fine and is still otherwise a healthy girl. Devil... the only unhealthiness I can spot is his large weight (sitting at a pound and a half at the moment) and shaking his head/ears which the vet thinks may be due to an allergy since no ear infection or other symptoms are present.

Latest posts

Back