Different Paces, ok?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRatGirl

My two rat girlies have different personalities, as rats will. One is much more ready for me to take her out of the cage and hang out on my shoulders. The other is still not ready for that and I don't want to force her into being uncomfortable. :stickpoke: Is it ok to take the rat that is ready to come out out of the cage to play? :dance: I read that you want them to come out together to feel more confident?
I let the more bold rat, Dahlia :heart: , play on my shoulders and we hang out in an area that Poppy can see to help her hopefully model Dahlia's behavior. :nod: Any advice, thoughts, comments? Is this ok?

I do 1:1 time with my outgoing rats where we play just 2 of us. Then the groups brought out so that my shy ones get used to the idea. I have places to hide and warm spots and favourite treats all over so that its as positive as it can be. I have noticed my shy girl Puff will now pop her head up every time I come to gather them for play to make sure she doesn't get left. She still hates being picked up and is ready to hit the couch and hide. But she will come out every now and then to make sure she doesn't miss anything

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any right or wrong way but by allowing skittish rattie to decide without you doing any extra forced socializing you might end up with a rat that simply does not like human interactions.
On the other hand, forced socializing may or may not work but usually always works to help bond rattie to you. The down the shirt trick is a wonderful bonding tool.

jorats said:
I don't think there's any right or wrong way but by allowing skittish rattie to decide without you doing any extra forced socializing you might end up with a rat that simply does not like human interactions.
On the other hand, forced socializing may or may not work but usually always works to help bond rattie to you. The down the shirt trick is a wonderful bonding tool.

Sorry, I'm confused. Do you think I should force it or not?
Also, what is the down the shirt method?

I force it but it's ok if you don't want to do that.

Down the shirt is put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt over that tshirt, stick the rats in between and keep them there for about an hour. Do this several times a day for a few days...they will start to bond to you.

jorats said:
I force it but it's ok if you don't want to do that.

Down the shirt is put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt over that tshirt, stick the rats in between and keep them there for about an hour. Do this several times a day for a few days...they will start to bond to you.

I'm glad to hear that because I've been wearing a hoodie to avoid little nails and my more outgoing girl has been spending a lot of her time inside my sweatshirt lol Also in my hair. I will go ahead and force it if someone thinks its ok I just didn't know if it were an OK thing to do!

Many of us here force socialization. It's not mean & it usually works. :) You're just showing them you're to be trusted & won't hurt them. They may always be the more shy rat but they'll come to bond with you & associate you with safety.. And treats and toys, etc :D
Good luck!

Back