Dewi June 07-Oct 20.07

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat

Dewi had skin lesions which were actually healing but then out of the blue he developed dyspnea. He was already on Baytril so we added Zithromax too. He had extreme amounts of porphyrin in his eyes and he was listless. A day ago we noticed his back legs were a little swollen and they were blue. He hardly had any energy. We feared the worse. Dewi left us today, despite all our efforts. I will be bringing him in for a post mortem. I need to know why Dewi was so sick.
I'm wondering if perhaps being a lab rat in a sterile environment might have contributed to a weakened immune system when bombarded by any virus or bacteria once he reached the outside world. :(

Dewi was adopted in Aug, he and his brother Jedy were being fostered by Shelagh. They were adorable white lab rats, they played all the time and were extremely bonded to each other. Both were to be neutered and intro'ed to Jacqui and River. I am heartbroken. He was too young to leave me. I love you my douxdoux.

douxdoux.jpg

douxdoux1.jpg

with his brother Jedy

ddandjedy.jpg

:tearful:

Oh God, Mom, I'm so very sorry. I know he was a very special rat to you and Dad. But you did all you could to help him. Keep watch over your mom and dad and little brother Jedy from the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Dewi. :redbud:

Of course you're heartbroken. There's grieving over putting a kid to bed and ministering to them and losing them, and then there's shock & denial & not knowing where to put it over having a kid that should have lived torn from your arms.. I ache for you.

And then there's Dewi's experience. Full of life little love in a small environment with an occasional pat on the head and goodness only knows what else in a lab. Then he & Jedy find themselves in a big colorful midway with lots to do and fantastic things to eat and they are adored and fawned over.

It is very unfair. To you, and to Jedy. But to Dewi life was good and it's good now unless he can see you agonizing. He wouldn't want to leave you when you're hurting any more than you would him. I don't think they run free there til they they're sure they have a comfy little stash place in your heart here.
I hope you can find your answers soon. Whatever they are, you belonged to each other here by choice for a lifetime. And Dewi knows what was in your heart for him.

You're much loved, little guy. Bet you're gonna look all over for the prettiest flowers to bring your mom when you see her again.

His sudden turn has us all perplexed. I surely don't understand it.
It's truly unfair to lose them young
I'm so sorry mamarat. :sad4:

OMG I am so sorry to hear about Dewi. I agree that the sterile environment may have been a problem, that's why I am so against antibacterial overuse. It's the same in humans.

Big hugs to you and morats. :(

Oh Mamarat...Dewi?? He was my favourite out of the 2...what a special little boy he was. :sad-p:

Totally unfair!! Too young!!! I am soo sorry for your entire family...

Sweet Dewi, you touched a few lives here on earth. :heart:

Dewi :heart: sounds like such a wonderful little boy.
So very glad that he had some wonderful weeks with you and lots of love tho the time Dewi :heart: had with you was much too short.
Thank you for sharing about Dewi :heart: with us.

Little Dewi had some nodules in his lungs, some type of cancer, totally unrelated to the skin lesions. We are still waiting for the results of the type of cancer.

Ok... we got the results. It wasn't cancer but an embolic infection.

A bacteria entered the skin lesions, made it's way into the blood stream and mass invaded the lungs. The pathologist has never seen such a severe case as in Dewi's.

Back