Completely at a loss. EXTREMELY aggressive male.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexler

So a couple months ago I took in two males (Kimball and Sobek). They were both severely abused and Sobek is one of the sweetest ratties ever! Kimball however... Seems to be turning into the spawn of Satan.

I introduced them to my boys and they hit it off right away since my boys are very loving and accepting.

A couple weeks, all is fine. But Kimball started getting agitated around me. He'd still let me touch him though.
A little later he started fighting with my other boys.
Then he attacked me, which hit the bone and went through the side of my finger(not fun).
I was completely dumbfounded.
There was no warning what so ever and I wasn't even near him(I had my hand in the cage giving them morning scritches).

After that I was more careful of course but I still talked to him and tried to handle him when he seemed calm.
He'd try to bite me when I held him so I put him back.
A couple days later he LUNGED and snarled at me from behind the bars! He wouldn't let me near it and tried to attack me at any chance he could.

I had to separate him about two weeks later for ripping open my poor Pickle's leg.

He isn't neutered so maybe if I got him fixed? I don't know. I'm at a complete loss as he attacked me again today. I was talking to him and my hand got too close to the bars... Blood everywhere. -.-' But I digress it was my fault for being a space cadet at the wrong time.
Handling him doesn't work. Treats doesn't work. Talking, nope. He is just miserable. My poor boy. :( If only he knew how much I care.
He's so sad. I feel really bad but I can't have him hurting my boys. And he's just so cute I can't stay mad at him.

Advice? Please? I want him to be happy and I want him to be able to get scritches again and have play mates and play time without gloves on.

I will NOT get him put down. The poor boy needs help after what he's been through. It breaks my heart.

I apologize for this being so long but I'm at my wits end.

Wow! Even worst than my Pollux prior to his neuter!

How old is he? I am going to bet around 8 months. If so, I suspect a neuter would VERY MUCH help, but given his background, it's no guaranty. Really worth trying though, as my tyran Pollux turned out to be a very mellow rat after those hormones from hell were out of his system!

Yes, get him neutered! My mom had such a boy, he would throw himself into the air to latch himself on my mom's legs to bite.
He is not able to cope with his stress and hormones. Removing those nasty gonads will do him a world of good and you can build your relationship with him all over again.

Good for you for putting up with him and looking for advice as opposed to getting rid of him. So many people would choose the easy way out. He's a lucky boy to have you.

He's over a year old. *Sigh* I could never get rid of him. Or Jackson and Squee(my other two aggressive ratties).

But while we're on that topic, Jackson is a biter but he's never broken the skin. I just think he hates me lol.

As for Squee, she came from a home where she lived under a fridge, her siblings were killed by a dog and her other siblings were kicked around in an exercise ball by teenagers until they had heart attacks. She was so good with me but she's starting to get nippy. Almost painfully so.

I'll look into getting him neutered next month. Gr! He's lucky he's so cute.

Since you have both girl and boy rats, that might also be a huge factor in the behaviors your are seeing in Kimball. Some male rats get extremely agitated when there are females in the vicinity, and will act out in ways that you are describing.

Yes, that definitely crossed my mind. But I can't keep him anywhere else in my house. I have a cat who... Excuse the expression "has a hard on" for killing rats.

Well, at least the half eaten rats in front of my mom's house before I took him away from her(long story) are a good sign I shouldn't press my luck.

Will neutering make him better around my girlies as well, or will I have to continue dealing with Satan rat?

Not that I mind dealing with him, I'm just very cynical when I get my flesh shredded lol.

Neutering should help overall, with you, and ALL the other rats. Get him done as soon as possible but it takes awhile before the hormones disappate, so just watch his behaviours and be careful when dealing with him.

I agree he needs to be neutered asap.
How many girls do you have?
If they are in good health, getting them spayed might help all of your boys, would get rid of any pregnany risk, and there are several important health benefits to spaying girls.

I agree with everyone - neuter! Any nippy boy, the first step with me would be to neuter. And if you had your female spayed, then she wouldn't be sending out sexy hormone smells to the boys, and they would be happier all around. And perhaps everyone could live together! I love big colonies!

I have 18 girls right now.
I talked to my significant other, who thankfully loves me enough to accept that I'm the crazy rat lady haha. Anyway, as much as he hates Kimball, he's agreed to pay for his neutering.

So now my next question is, how long until his hormones calm afterwards. And any tips if he stays aggressive?

It can take up to three months for the neuter to take full effect but most times it's within a couple of weeks. Some is instantaneous. I would start to work with him as soon as he recovers, so within 3 days of surgery.

I've been in that situation too. One of my boys where all puffy and biting and really stressed out when the neighbour(two rooms away) got female rats. A week or so, after the neutering, he was a cozy lovley rat. I'ts really worth it and you will not regret it!
It may take longer than it did for me tho. :)

I'll work with him soon after. Even if he stays aggressive towards me I'm more concerned about him not having cage mates. It's so depressing he just lays in one corner all day but when I do touch him it's like a switch turns on "Brrrraaaaaaiiiiinnnnnssss".

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm going to do everything I can for him.

Back