Cereal snack treat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CardboardCastles

My girls snubbed cheerios the first time around, but as I'm sitting here this morning, Lucy came barreling over and stole a piece of cereal right out of my bowl.

Its a little stale, which may be why they like it so much, more to gnaw at, but if you have access to HeartMates, its a cereal made by Nutritious Living, they seem to really enjoy it.

They've each had maybe two little pieces of it as a treat this morning...I don't really know how to read a label and tell whats good for me, let alone good for a rat, if anyone wants the nutrition facts or could tell me if its something I shouldn't be feeding...Its definately nothing more than a treat.

Human Nutrition Facts:
Serv. Sive 3/4 cup
Calories 110
Calories From Fat 10
Total Fat 1g
Sat. Fat 0g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 60mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carb 25g
Dietary Fiber5g
Soluble Fiber less than 1g
Insoluble Fiber 4g
Sugars 5g
Protein 3g

Vit. A 25%
Vit. C50%
Calcium 6%
Iron 8%
Vit. E 25%
Vitamin B6 100%
Folate 100%
Vit. B12 100%
Phosphorus 8%
Magnesium 10%
Zinc 10%

Ingredients: Whole wheat flour, whole oat flour, evaporated cane juice, oat bran, oat fiber, wheat starch, wheat germ, honey, tomato extract (source of lycopene), triticale flour, whole rice flour, whole rye flour, whole barley flour, whole buckwheat flour, salt, calcium carbonate, decaffeinated green tea extract, cinnamon, alpha tocopherol (vit. E), grape seed extract, ascorbic acid (vit. C), natural flavor beta carotene, trisodium phosphate, vitamin B6, zinc oxide, vitamin B12, folic acid, iron

Many rats will turn down a new food initially. Rats aren't able to vomit, so they have to be more careful about what they eat, which causes a natural distrust of new foods. Always offer any new food atleast a couple of times. Some rats are more persuaded if they smell the food on your breath, or if they see you eating it.

That does look like an excellent treat! I give mine multigrain cheerios but mostly any cereal with such low sugar and low fat is great as a treat.

Yeah its amazing what the little stinkers will try when they see the brave hooman eating it. My boys will watch and if I eat it, then I suppose its got to be good enough to try. So good in fact they will walk up and try to take it out of my mouth :doh:

My new rats were skittish about Cheerios the first time, but they soon changed their minds!! It's nice that you found a cereal so low in sugar and sodium. It can be a challenge. [off topic: I can't BELIEVE how much sodium they put in most cottage cheese... why?????]

THat sounds like a great cereal. Mine LOVE multi-grain cheerios! They have their own huge box of it, though I eat it too late at night when I need a snack. They just go nuts for them, and its much better for them than yogies, especially for Daisy, the big fat chunker.

My girls are very trusting now. But when I first gave them broccoli they snubbed it. But I convinced Lily to eat it, so then she went to Hazel and then Hazel ate it and she went to Ruby and only then did Ruby eat it. :doh: Ruby's boss so she has to get her minions to test it first. :laugh4:

Back