Cecal Impaction

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Does anyone know anything about cecal impaction in rats?
... my vet hasn't been able to find any info.

Causes? Diagnosis? Progression? Prognosis? Treatment? etc

and Chins

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 171506.htm

Constipation:
More common than diarrhea, constipation typically results from insufficient dietary fiber and roughage. Dehydration, environmental stress, intestinal obstruction, obesity, lack of exercise, trichobezoars, and uterine compression in gravid females may also result in constipation. Chinchillas may strain to defecate and have decreased fecal output. Fecal pellets are thin, short, hard, malodorous, and sometimes stained with blood. Chronic cases may lead to rectal prolapse, intestinal torsion, cecal impaction, or colonic flexure. To provide relief, dietary fiber should be increased by providing alfalfa cubes, adding mineral oil to the feed, and administering soapy, warm-water enemas. Persistent intestinal blockage may be due to intestinal adhesions, tumors, abscesses, impactions, or foreign bodies. These may be palpated abdominally or identified on radiographs using contrast media. Enterotomy and intestinal anastomosis may be required in such cases.

It seems that in other species such as horses, lack of exercise and the use of NSAID pain meds may contribe to or cause cecal impaction.

It sounds like she became constipated could be due to meds or even pain could do that. I think that's secondary to what she had, maybe a result of the main cause.

The only case of cecal impaction I've had was with Sienna, and she most likely had late-onset megacolon... slowdown of the intestines that may cause blockages can also be caused by most anesthetics and some painkillers. It can be a problem in people post-op.

I discussed cecal impaction with my vet today.

It is rare in rats and since is so tiny, it can not be detected while the rattie is still alive.
There is no known cluster of symptoms in rats that would indicate that this has occurred.
Therefore, there is no known treatment for cecal impaction in rats.

:sad3:

Latest posts

Back