Bif is really porphy, any suggestions?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exodog

Hello all,
I've noticed over the past little while Bif has been getting slightly more porph in her eye and nose. She's the one who had a fractured nose before, so she typically has a bit there anyway, it's just slowly been increasing.
I talked to my vet and he said given her history it doesn't surprise him. He said I should keep a close ear for any fluid sounds in her lungs for the next few days, and if the porph continues to increase, then bring her in.

My question for you guys is this; is there anything I can do to help her out without medication? I really don't like to do meds unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks in advance!

Exodog said:
Hello all,
I've noticed over the past little while Bif has been getting slightly more porph in her eye and nose. She's the one who had a fractured nose before, so she typically has a bit there anyway, it's just slowly been increasing.
I talked to my vet and he said given her history it doesn't surprise him. He said I should keep a close ear for any fluid sounds in her lungs for the next few days, and if the porph continues to increase, then bring her in.

My question for you guys is this; is there anything I can do to help her out without medication? I really don't like to do meds unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks in advance!

How old is she? Usually when you see more porphryin it just means they aren't cleaning it off as diligently.

She's roughly a year.
I've been watching her, and she seems to clean just as regularly as she did before. I placed a small bowl of water in there and she's taken to washing her face in it. I think that helps with the porph in her nose, but I'd like to decrease the amount she actually produces if I can, not just wash it off.

Exodog said:
She's roughly a year.
I've been watching her, and she seems to clean just as regularly as she did before. I placed a small bowl of water in there and she's taken to washing her face in it. I think that helps with the porph in her nose, but I'd like to decrease the amount she actually produces if I can, not just wash it off.

There really is no way to stop that. If she was sneezing a bit I would suggest adding humidity to the air, as it gets dry here in the winter.

Latest posts

Back