1st time rat owner-- baby ratties still scared

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinowits

Hello everyone! I posted some of this in my intro post, but I thought I'd post it here too.

my two rats are sisters, about 3 months old. Nibbler is black on top with a white tummy, and Sprinkles is white with a grey hood. I get them out of their cage at least once a day, usually more than that. I let them run around on the couch while my boyfriend and I are sitting with them. Nibbler will sit on my boyfriend's lap, and Sprinkles will run to a corner and stay there. They'll just kind of sit and sniff around, sometimes nibbling our hands or fingers to test them out. Then, Sprinkles will usually pee on me or the couch... she has peed almost every time I bring her out. Is she scared or can she just not hold it?
And then Nibbler will go crazy! She will run, run, run and climb over the pillows and our shoulders and try to escape from us. So after the peeing and crazy escape attempts, we will put them back in the cage.
I think the suggestion of "wearing" them in a shirt or sweatshirt is a great idea, but I know Sprinkles would pee on me... should I just do it anyways?

Another thing that is happening is that Nibbler seems to be very territorial. When I try to get her out she aggressively bites (draws blood).. it's not the investigating kind of bite. And if they are cuddling in bed and I try to pick up her sister she will bite me. :(

One more thing (last one, promise!)... I have a littler box in the cage, but they don't use it. I put their poops into it, but they just keeping pooing all over the place. Advice?

You definitely need to do the "down the shirt" trick. And often. That will get both rats to bond with you. Let them pee, this helps them recognize the area as a safe zone. Many times rats will pee to find their way back home. As for the biting with the one girl, you are going to need to socialize her more, pick her up a lot, several times a day. Let her come onto you don't grab her. If you need to go and grab her only scoop her from the bottom. I recommend that you don't go into their cage unless it's quite necessary and if you do, offer them a cheerio first to distract them. Always have something yummy when you go talk to them.
As for the litter training, usually it's next to impossible to train babies but for now, you'll have to be diligent and pick up all their poops and place them in the boxy.

thanks for the advice! whenever I approach their cage, I'll put some Cheerios on my hand and they love coming up and sniffing my hand and grabbing treats! so that's some improvement! no bites for a couple days so that's good too.

they seem to like snuggling in my shirt, but Nibbler still gets really hyper after 10 minutes or so and she will climb out and run everywhere. I'll keep wearing them and maybe she'll get more used to it :)

I'll let you know if anything exciting happens!

And don't worry about them peeing on you - rats do that.
Rats mark their territory.
Many of us have "rat clothes", clothes that can get peed on, chewed etc. because they will be

Back