What's in your first aid kit?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to keep Metacam, either Revolution or Ivermectin (topical), dexamethasone, gentocin, all the fixins (needles, ringers lactate solution), Flour for small bleeding toes, etc.

If I am lucky I have abs on hand (right now I have baytril and zithromax as well).

Edited to add: Dang it :doh: Forgot the 25 spare medicating syringes, the Betadine, peroxide, Q-tips, strawberry Boost, Polysporin for eyes, Polysporin ointment for wounds, Powdered milk formula for babies, and tiny curved glass dropper for babies...umm...I think thats it. :roll:

I am getting doxy, enalapril, lasix, and more metacam soon.

WOW! Thats one heluvua first aid kit!
I had doxy and bayrtil on hand for months, but my new little guy started chest noises (he's been a snuffler since I got him, the vets seen him too) and then two of my other boys started sneezing with crusty porphyrin... so my meds are gone now and I need to make another vet apt. to get some more.
Other than that I just have polysporin, q-tips, cotton balls, peroxide, and flour on hand in case of any boo-boos. (heck, in case I have any boo-boos too. :roll: )

Edited to add I have Revolution too.

Let's see ... slowly depleting box of 100 syringes, bag of other random syringes of varying sizes for reconstituting meds, syringe needles, cornstarch, Metacam, Baytril, powdered doxy, nebulizer, saline, Albuterol, Benebac, kids' Benadryl and Tylenol, Neosporin, tiny scissors, activated charcoal, black light (to distinguish blood vs. porphyrin; otherwise to find rat pee stains on the carpet :D ), vet wrap, athletic tape, tweezers, rubbing alcohol, toothbrush

/digging through first aid kit :lol:

I'm looking at buying a stethoscope too. I think it'd be fun/useful, lol.

baytril
doxycycline
ivermectin
metacam
terramycin
baytril otic
gentamicin otic
syringes of varying sizes
no needles though I know how to give subq fluids if needed
ensure
baby food/cereal
81 mg aspirin
carravet wound gel
golden yellow (herbal ointment from vet comes highly recommended)
kids liquid benedryl
my albuterol inhaler (them and me)
prednisone liquid
nutrical
quickstop/flour/cornstarch for toenails bleeds

Also keep herbs from my vet who also does holistic vet med, the herbs I'm told help enhance their respiratory/cardiovascular system, since we haven't had as many resp issues I beleive its working.

Wow, okay don't think of me as a bad mommy, but I never even thought of this stuff. I have some shopping to do.

I didn't know that flour was good on cuts. We can even use it on us??
What does polysporin do and what do you use the boost for... for putting medication in??

Wow I don't have any knowledge on this. Sorry Guys.

LA said:
Wow, okay don't think of me as a bad mommy, but I never even thought of this stuff. I have some shopping to do.

I didn't know that flour was good on cuts. We can even use it on us??
What does polysporin do and what do you use the boost for... for putting medication in??

Wow I don't have any knowledge on this. Sorry Guys.

Hey! I don't have any of those items either, don't feel bad! When we are on our 100th rat I'm sure we'll have racked up all that medical gear too! :lol:

Polysporin I beleive is like neosporin or bacitracin, antibiotic ointment for cuts and there is also the polysporin for eyes in case one of them has an eye infection or eye issue. I think I keep neomycin ointment for eyes on hand, the kind without the steroids for eyes. As for the flour/cornstarch, I use that more for toenail bleeds don't usually use it on normal cuts and scrapes.

Editing my own post, wasn't finished typing...

The boost and ensure, I use for my older kids when they are having trouble eating on their own and also for ones that have been through surgery or are sick and need some extra nutrients. Plus its a yummy treat in general for everyone in moderation.

My first aid kit is so big, I keep it in a paper box that reams of paper come in.
It contains...
Bottle of Saline
Bag of Ringers Solution (which expires three months after puncturing)
Any antibiotics that I can get my hands on including Baytril, Doxy, Chlorpalm, Gentocin and Prednisone.
Kitten/Puppy Revolution
Ivermectin
Metacam
Fuciderm
Hibitane
Epiotic
Ovol
Probiotics (Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules for people - keep in fridge)
Syringes both with and without needles in about four different sizes, including butterfly needles.
Stethoscope
Childrens Tylenol
Nexcare bandages
Liquid bandage
Butterfly Closures
Peroxide (always dilute before applying)
Rubbing Alcohol (always dilute before applying)
Glycerine
Mineral Oil
Heating/Cooling bags
Nutrical
Ensure
Strawberry Nesquik for meds
Plus, I also have the following...
Postal Scale
Nebulizer
Chamber for puffer
Ceramic Heat Lamp with cage (this is a lifesaver for older/infirm rats and worth its weight in gold - this is a must have in my opinion).
Most of the stuff I have accumulated because I have had to use it and it has been prescribed. Some items I just have for emergencies but have never needed to use.

Here is what the lamp looks like, being used to warm up an old ratty in the basket...
lamp.jpg

(I keep having to edit this because of things that I have missed that I keep in other places and not the box)

That lamp is a good idea!! Many times I've wondered how I could keep a rat warm after surgery.
Where can we buy something like that? Does it have a specific wattage so it doesn't get too hot?

jorats said:
That lamp is a good idea!! Many times I've wondered how I could keep a rat warm after surgery.
Where can we buy something like that? Does it have a specific wattage so it doesn't get too hot?

They are designed for reptile enclosures, I bought both the lamp and the cage at the SuperPet at Kennedy and the 401. Because the ceramic bulbs heat all around, you have to have the cage or a normal hood will burn. I went with the more expensive ceramic bulb because they emit no light, only heat.
Dr. Munn told me that you only need a bulb that will get about five degrees higher than the rats regular body temperature. You don't want it any hotter than that. The bulb I have is 60 watts. I did research what the temperature gets to at the time that I purchased it, but I forget what it is.
All together you are looking at spending about $60, but it is the best $60 I have ever spent for that first aid kit.

In my first aid kit I have...

Revolution
Infant Motrin
Vet Wrap
Sterile Gauze [pads and rolls]
Small scissors
Alcohol [sterilize on the fly]
Saline solution [flushing]
Peroxide [for wounds]
Neosporin [+pain relief! for cuts]
Triple Antibiotic ointment for eyes
Flour/cornstarch [toes]
Ensure
Baby cereal
Tresaderm
Baytril [pill form]
Prednisone
Doxy [powder form]
Metacam
Nebulizer
Vaporizer
Albuterol Inhaler
Spare TB syringes
Tape [to keep the numbers on my spare TB syringes]

jorats said:

You can get something similar at feed stores that carry supply's for chickens. I have one that I got that's actually a heat light for baby chicks. Works good.

Vets sell plastic disks that heat in the microwave and stay warm for hours. Good to use after surgery, etc.

Also ... I have a digital postal scale accurate to 1 gram, as amount of meds is given by weight of the rattie.
.... I keep Debbie Ducommun's Rat Health Care book on hand for easy medical reference re. meds, dossages, etc.

Oooh thanks SQ, yeah I have a Snuggle Safe too, plus a digital postal scale for weighing the munchkins (great for seeing problems arise early with weight losse/gain)

mandycoot said:
Let's see ... slowly depleting box of 100 syringes, bag of other random syringes of varying sizes for reconstituting meds, syringe needles, cornstarch, Metacam, Baytril, powdered doxy, nebulizer, saline, Albuterol, Benebac, kids' Benadryl and Tylenol, Neosporin, tiny scissors, activated charcoal, black light (to distinguish blood vs. porphyrin; otherwise to find rat pee stains on the carpet :D ), vet wrap, athletic tape, tweezers, rubbing alcohol, toothbrush

/digging through first aid kit :lol:

I'm looking at buying a stethoscope too. I think it'd be fun/useful, lol.
HI friend !
i am so inspired to you you are really good caretaker of their rat and now
i am also extend their bag for aid

How long do these medications last? the shelf life? I have quite a lot of baytril left over from before Ghost passed away. how long does Revolution last? What about amoxacillin?

Back