update Norry back from the vet, last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we're pretty happy about it too but he *is* still quite frail and thin and I am thinking he's in his final days or weeks at this point

sad about it, but relieved he seems comfortable enough for now

July 4th update, Norry is looking even better today, I did not expect that at all!

I think it's safe to say there's NO PT, too. I gave him a plate with chopped raw mushrooms, chopped tomato & leafy greens (the spring mix)

He goes right for the mushrooms and chows down on those

While he was eating those, I washed and cut some red grapes in half, and added those to his plate. I hadn't even finished putting them all down (I like to make sure they are cut side up LOL) when he drops the mushroom and reaches out and GRABS a grape half out of my hand!!!!
not something a rat with a pituitary tumor is gonna do!!

I am trusting him/his body to know what foods he needs and so far he's choosing mostly fruits, greens and rice
he's not as interested in the baby cereal, he wants regular cooked rice
I'll just keep offering him different things and hope he gains some wt back. I'll weigh him tomorrow.

I do think he was nibbling on some lab block too- it would be awesome if he can go back to eating a normal rat diet

So far he's had two pinches of Avanti KS added to his food, as suggested by Victoria

I also add that my cat Nell's food, Nell is in early renal failure and is not eating well. Nell ate more food yesterday than she's eaten in a long time, so I am very impressed with this supplement!

You can get it at a lot of online stores, I got mine at Cal Vet Supply, they had a good price with lower shipping than a lot of other places

OK Norry has been on the Aventi KS supplement since it arrived on Thursday, so that's 4 days now

I have been feeding him nearly every 4 hours, he eats mostly moist fresh foods, esp fruits but also veggies, greens, etc and some rice

He's not interested in baby cereals or baby foods, he seems to have trouble eating/licking it up so I stopped offering those

and I am pretty sure he's eating the LW hamster extrusion pellets I got!!

so I just weighed him and he's now around 490 grams!

he started out at 630 in Feb when he was first diagnosed with heart issues (I know, he was obese :( )

he got down to 413 just about a week ago.

He is walking around just fine, does not seem confused any more, and can climb into hammocks, something he hasnt' been strong enough to do for a long time
woohoo

I'm just a tiny bit worried that the wt gain was too rapid- Just a tiny bit worried because over all he does seem better

If he had fluid build up, he'd be looking pretty bad, right? and hanging his head or trying to keep it up?
just checking, before we celebrate too much!!

I wouldn't be worried about the weight gain when our vet put Popper on pred he was hoping for a 100 gram plus weight gain in a week, but unfortunately it went the other way. What I have learned is breathing heavy is a lot of work and causes them to lose weight. So I would say whatever you are doing is good for him. :flowers2:

copied and pasted from FB:

UPDATE: vet visit yesterday,
wt was 500grams so he's still up and down, but mostly UP with his wt.

Vet thinks he needs to eat more protein, and that the only thing wrong with him is the probable HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) She said his heart rate was 350 bpm (rat health guide vital statistics says: Heart rate/minute 250 - 493) so his heart rate could actually be within normal limits(?) I didn't ask because I couldn't recall the norms when I was there.

I asked about the polyuria (increased urination) she said that was probably due to all the moist foods he's eating, increased liquid input= increased urine output,

however, he's mildly dehydrated, and except for the vet saying she does not want me to do subQ fluids at home because of the heart issues, no reason was given for the dehydration. I mentioned my concerns about kidney failure and/or diabetes and was told that diabetes is rare in rats and that rats don't ordinarily get kidney failure.

So, vet said to give him 0.06cc of benezapril twice a day for a week and then drop that down to once a day.

what do you all think? I am still thinking his kidneys are going on him and the supplement that I'm giving him along with frequent feedings, is what is helping with his wt.

he is heavier and stronger but he still falls asleep in his food

see attached photo

my main plan remains the same, love on him as much as I can.
and most likely, not waste any more $ at this vet. I don't have a lot of faith in her and each time I take an animal in to see her, I come home more confused and frustrated that she's not adequately addressing my questions and concerns.

she recommends this supplement called Liqui Tinic- besides the fact that the ingredients are crap (parabens and saccharin and animal digest, for example) it has IRON in it. He does not need iron, it would only make him constipated, which you surely don't want to do with a dehydrated animal.

update on Norry- he is eating and eating and eating!! A friend took me out for groceries and I got more than I planned to, but I'm glad now that I did, because he is REALLY chowing down!

he's got some mushrooms, grapes, a plum, some spring mixed greens and some watermelon. when I get back home, I'm going to make him some instant potatoes and give him more veggies.
I did some research on the best diet for a rat with possible/probable kidney issues, and the fruits and low protein low phosphorus foods are recommended. So white pots, rice, pasta are all good as well as the lower protein veggies

SO glad he's eating, hopefully he can put some wt back on

=)

any links to info?

I agree, do what you think is best
or try a better rat vet :(

If you want info re benezapril dosage I can give you info as Eben is on it
Not sure what she thinks the problem is re sub-Q fluids and a heart problem ... dehydration is the killer .....

yes I do need a better vet but haven't been able to find one. I have several friends who use the same vet and we are all frustrated with her, but we haven't been able to find anyone else

there's one other exotics vet in town and he is horrible, just horrible. he's bad as a vet and as a person.

Norry is in rough shape today. I wish I knew what to do to make him feel better, he seems uncomfortable.

Back