Tyrion's Heartbreaking PT diagnosis! :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He ate lots tonight again. Made him mashed blocks, organic oatmeal and banana cereal. He gobbled up lots and it was nice and liquidy so he got fluids. He's adapting well. I lowered his favourite basket bed so he can climb in and out easier! The other boys are being so good with him still! He's passed out now with a full belly!

Glad to hear he is hanging in there:) It warms my heart when I see rats showing compassion to other rats.

So happy to hear that he's responding to Bromo! I've been lucky with it a few times, and it was wonderful to have a few more weeks or months of quality time. It's lovely to know that his cagemates don't steal all the food!

Today was not such a good day. He has nearly lost all ability to move. He's refusing to eat more then a few mouthfuls and spits out anything I try to syringe feed. He has spent most of the day on the couch with us today. He's having a nap in his cage with Boots and Odin. I am predicting he won't make the next 24 hrs and that's being very generous. I will be surprised if he makes it the night.
It was nice having him be so snuggly as usually on the couch he likes to do his own thing. He tried to explore but he kept getting too close to where he could fall and hurt himself. I think I'll be ok as I've gotten to say goodbye and given him all the snuggles and fave foods he could want. Really got to spoil him guilt free this week.
If he makes it to tomorrow he would be going to the vet. I left a message with them to let him know of his current state. We're just trying to keep him comfortable now.

You can try the dex shot now to boost the bromo. Personally and its how I feel having had three PT boys - I don't know if I'd try treating another, but others on here have had great responses with the meds. If you got a response from the bromo I think I would try the dex shot, but I'm not with your babies so its a personal call on that. I will support any decision you make.

We got through the night which was milestone number 1! Appointment is at 10:15 with Dr. Robinson. I'll see if he'll do a Dex shot for him (he likely will) he ate a big spoonful of breakfast, that furious appetite is back!
Did some pureed chicken, peas, carrots, potato and rosemary. He gobbled it down. His brothers didn't leave his side all night. They were ying-yanged around him to sleep. I set the cage bottom with lots of blankets and towels. I change the top layer every day as Tyrion is still urinated well. He loves raspberry tea in his water. Gets him to drink a good ounce every morning and evening without syringing it into him! :)

Hope everything goes well at the vet..I am so glad he made it through the night :) Hang in their big man!

He got the dex shot. He was trying to be his ole wandering self on the couch again but we confined him to a small area. He ate a couple of good spoons of food. Had his round of evening meds. He had a bit of a congested cough around 6 but once we propped him up he was able to cough it out. His brothers are ever so vigilant with his grooming and keeping him snuggly warm :)

You will need to put him in antibiotics now that he's on steriods since his immune systems will be compromised. Baytril and doxy will be fine. Consider liquid pepcid too. No metacam now either, but tramadol is fine. Hope he continues to respond. When he starts to decline again do another dex shot

He is on Baytril and Doxy for abs and on a no name Tramadol like medication. He did the no name stuff because I can give it more frequently if needed.
His sniffles have only been wet and mucusy for a few minutes yesterday. For the most part his breathing is fine.
He had a bath this morning as he dove into his peas n carrot mush. He seemed to enjoy the warm water soak :)
He washed his own face and attempted his thigh but his balance is so off he can't get the right angle. Boots and Odin came and helped me dry him with tongue baths. I think through all of this what astounds me most is their diligence with him. They don't steal his food or push him around, they groom him and sit on either side of him when he eats. They nibble away at whatever he's eating but they don't gorge like they would have normally if I fed 3 perfectly healthy boys. They know he's sick and are being the best brothers!
I think I'll be ok if he did go during the night as he'd have them by his side. His best two buddies. He's loved!
He is in his "rat couch" which is just one of those small animal cuddler beds. Made for guinea pigs but mine like igloo style hides. So Tyrion has his own bed. They all snuggle into it. I set the water bottle so it hangs inside the cage right in the bed so he can find it. Thank goodness for glass water bottles!
I watched Tyrion go into their potty lastnight like he should go. He hasn't been having bowel movements often. But he's still determined to use his potty! If only other healthy rats would do that! Haha
He urinates pretty regularly and seems to be able to control that as he gets out of bed as well and sits up as best he can. Also most of the time in the potty. Smart boy !!
The vet said he's probably going to fight long past most rats would as he seems pretty determined not to let the illness hold him back. He's still super 'adventurous' on the couch and made the vet work pretty hard to keep him still on the table. He said he's never met such a determined animal that small before. Even a healthy one! That's my outgoing boy!

Today we saw a perkier boy! He ate a great few meals with absolute vigor. He had his teeth trimmed today as they have not been ground down properly with his lack of energy and appetite!

I'm glad he is responding so well to the medications and that he has a great attitude. It makes it easy to know it's not time for him yet. :)

Yes he's been on the Bromo for 9 days. He's stronger muscularly then he was a week ago. His appetite is astounding. He has good days and bad days.
He has had two steroid shots one on the 6th and one on monday (1 week apart).
He is on 2 abs and a pain control med. Its been tough keeping up with what to give when. But hes trucking through. As long as I start with plain food and he eats something he likes first he'll take 3/4 of the meds no questions asked. Then I have to push the last mouthful.
He loves wet dog food (grain-free veggie based) mushed all up so he gets a tsp of that once a day as a fave. Usually in the morning as that's when he's weaker and groggy. He had some peas in baby cereal this morning as well. We are trying a few natural body health building foods like kelp, coconut oil and an organic muscle builder for underweight dogs that I have for my littlest terrier Allie-Boo. He gets like a pinch because of his low weight but he's using his body more then a few days ago. He's grooming his face and tummy. Attempts other body parts but falls or can't stretch that far. He's still giving kisses before bed time. And popping his head up every morning like "Ok lets do this mom!"
Its nearly broken me both financially and emotionally but I'm not giving up if he doesn't!!!

Last edited:
There is no steady improvement on his part?

if not, it might not be a prolactinoma and the bromo might not being doing anything for him, and its the dex only that is helping.

I am so glad that he's made some improvement, even though it's hard not to see him recover.
Bromo is like a miracle when it works. Otherwise, the steroids at least buy him some time.
He and his buddies sound so wonderful. I've never had altruistic rats, and your guys are really special.

Back