Toronto, ON-Dr. Sam Munn - Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PiedPiper said:
You're so right! How I wish I had done it sooner! Took the baby-tea's to see Dr. Munn again this morning (just for a re-check). He was just as awesome as he was the first time and the boys all got a clean bill of health!

The drive is no where near as scarey the second time around :giggle:

You got it, moon! I'm ALWAYS up for a Cinnabon!!!

I was speaking to the receptionist when I was there today and she asked if I drove all the way from Peterborough to there just for Revolution and asked where I heard of Dr. Munn. So I said he is highly recommended online at a forum dedicated to rats. She said thats great and that she had someone come from Maple the other day. heh, I knew it was you :D

meghan said:
I didn't catch her name, but if those are the only two options, I'd say it was Christine :)

Robbie, dark shoulder length hair, quiet voice
Christine - tall, short blonde hair
Erin - short, dark hair, a little heavier than the other 2

Hmmmm ... sounds like I've met Robbie and Christine. It was definitely Christine when I was there on Thursday. And from your description, I'm pretty sure it was Robbie on my illustrious first visit (man, I can only imagine the impression I made on her! Waaaaay late for my appointment, freaked out because I was late, in desperate need of a bathroom and the boys had made an absolute mess of the carrier! :lol: ). I know I've spoken to Robbie on the telephone several times - she seems to be the one who does the follow ups.

I believe the exam price is $65, but if you are getting your girl spayed I think its included in the cost of the surgery. You'd have to call for a quote on the spay.

lilspaz68 said:
I believe the exam price is $65, but if you are getting your girl spayed I think its included in the cost of the surgery. You'd have to call for a quote on the spay.

Thank you verrrrry much! ;3

Oops I forgot to put this in my last post, but do you know whether or not they charge pre rat for the exam?

lilspaz68 said:
tayanti said:
Oops I forgot to put this in my last post, but do you know whether or not they charge pre rat for the exam?

Its usually the first exam fee and then a smaller fee for additional rats. How many are you taking in?

Id be taking in 2 rats. Haha darn typo. Per not pre.
x3 Oops.

Hearing such great reviews about Dr.Munn, I've decided he's be the right choice for when I get my rats spayed. So, I emailed them and found out that the spay will cost about $240 (including everything - antibiotics, etc...) and I was just wondering is that a decent price for a normal spay? Or should I be looking for something cheaper?

Its a good price since most vets do not spay rats (more invasive surgery), the care is excellent, it usually covers the exam (some vets charge this in addition) and I believe any followup visit, although they are usually not required. You will likely have to pay for abs and metacam for a few days on top unless they included that in your quote?

Dr. Munn does excellent spays. :) Small incisions and the girls get through it very well.

At Dr Munn's you get what you pay for.. the prices may be a little higher than some places, but not by much and their level of care is wonderful.

My exotic vets in town aren't nearly as good as Dr Munn and charge more.

That is very competitive for Toronto, you will not find anyone doing it much cheaper in and around the city. And as others have pointed out - you are getting more than you pay for with Dr. Munn, the care taken before, during and after the surgery cannot be topped in this city.

I completely agree with all pf the previous comments. I got my first pet rats when I lived in Peterborough, where there was really only one clinic that treated rats, and they were good but they didn't have a lot of experience because there just weren't that many rats coming through their door. When I moved back to Toronto I had an emergency in the first couple of days I was there and I went to the clinic recommended by the receptionist at the VEC (Veterinary Emergency Clinic) and stayed with that clinic for a couple of months because I didn't want to put my girls through another initial exam and I already had a history there.

In June Lizzie got a tumor and my vet's office quoted me $1000-1400 for the lumpectomy so I decided to give Dr. Munn a call after one of my co-workers highly recommended him. I could not have been more impressed! Most importantly, the office suggested and encouraged that I bring a companion along so that Lizzie would not feel alone after the surgery. When I've had spays/tumors removed in the past the vets have always recommended that I keep the rat separate for fear of ripping the stitches, but I have found that my girls are much happier together and have never taken out each other's stitches - although I do keep a very close eye, especially in those first few of hours.

This week Lizzie's sister Cloud developed a tumor and I went to my exotic vet (I now live in Montreal) and they want me to have Cloud fast the night before (they don't want her to choke on the food stored in her cheeks) and keep her hospitalized for at least one night after the surgery. I appreciated Dr. Munn's experience with rats before, both as a doctor but also as a rat owner, but now even more so.

I also agree that the prices he charges are very competitive and reasonable, but the care and attention he gives his patients and his experience and knowledge are the reason I would return in a heartbeat if I ever move back to Toronto.

Back