Three new rescues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LA, it's Mamarts place to speak to this, not mine, but I got a big mouth!

You certainly did put them in a position where they had to help the kids, but that's not your fault :shock:
You should be sharing pride with them knowing that those kids are getting the best they could find in this life. That they are going to experience a good life before they go.

You go ahead and cry, but you know that these kidsare getting the best there is - because of you. And no matter what emotional or financial hardship they are on Mamarat they are her babies.

If you knew about them being less than spoiled before you spoke up you should have spoke up sooner. Never ignore a kid that doesn't cry out loud.
You live and learn. Your're still their rescuer you know!

Fidget said:
jorats said:
These girls, I think were just in an unfortunate place. A family that got too busy and didn't see the signs. I guess in the end, the family knew it was time to place them in a better home. It's just a shock to see them like that
Sorry Jo. But I'm absolutely not OK with that. I can't knock someone for not taking a kid to the vet to have a tumor removed, but the condition these kids are in? They are in horrible condition! Not just from stuff that requires a vet, but from someone not even trreating them for mites. And not even feeding them properly, these kids are suffering from malnutrition.
I think people are trying to be considerate of the former 'parents' and I sure commend them for finally sending them where they will be well loved and cared for rather than letting them live/die neglected in a cage.

But untreated mites, and malnutrition from eating whatever the people found to feed them, not to mention it was pretty obvious when they they were delivered in a dirty cage what they lived in when nobody was watching.
I don't care who knows these people, pass on a message, thank god you gave them up, Why didn't you do it sooner??

I am sure Jo just said this to make LA feel better.

LA, you did a good thing here, never feel guilty. Part of being a rescuer is to grieve at the conditions and emotional state of the rescued rats, but then to realize YOU took them away from that. Rats live very much in the moment, and I am sure these girls are much happier (and hopefully can be healthier in the end), and YOU did that. See what I am saying? I have picked up rats for people before, there's no guarantees on what shape they will be in, and its not your fault that someone horrid did it. Rescuers take the good with the bad, its part of the whole mindset. Mama doesn't regret those girls, she probably loves them completely now!

You gave up Jack, which was the right decision, and found Lily. It was meant to be.

I was being nice at first mainly because I know some people are reading my board and reporting back to the other board and I'm really trying to keep the peace between boards. :oops:

But Fidget is right and I'm downright mad at this situation. I could say so much more but I won't.

LA, like Fidget has said, not your fault at all. You had no idea what these girls were going through and just thank god you got them when you did, or I'm sure they would have died a horrible and painful death.

Financially it's a crusher. So far these girls have cost $170 and it will be another $500 before we are done trying to save them.

I pray to god in heaven... may that lady NEVER have rats again.

I think a lot of times, we just have to look past the past of our rescues. Of course you need to know the past in order to have a bit of an advantage when medically treating a pet, but that should be it. Make the person you rescued the rats from aware of the state of the pets, and move on.

We all love our ratties regardless of their past. :)

Fidget, I understand. I am happy that they are with Mamarat. One of the best places to be. I am so happy that they will live the rest of their lives in less pain. It's more of a shock to me I guess because I have only owned rats for 7 months (besides taking care of my stepbrothers rat) and joined the other forum only shortly after getting the rats. So I have not seen as much as all of you have, I guess being newbie I am sheltered. I feel bad for what the rats had gone through, scarred for life because of mites, how that must have felt.... (I'm going to stop this train of thought now)

I do not know Michelle very well, I only answered her plea for rehoming those kids. It wasn't until after I picked them about and took them to Mamarat that I found out they had been in the basement.

I too hope that Michelle focuses on her daughters over pets. The cat that my parents got from her is in wonderful condition. I too understand how things can go wrong. I myself am a terrible procrastinator. I can understand how things can be pushed aside. But you always have to keep in mind that animals are not without feelings, pain, love etc as well.

I think everything has been said and done. And now I'm asking for good thoughts and healing vibes for Summer. She's going to the vet tomorrow to remove her bad teeth and abcess.

Bestest healing vibes for sweet little Summer!! Praying that its just an untreated abscess that responds beautifully to treatment after that nasty tooth is gone. :love4:

I send good thoughts to Summer and her sisters. You gals have one of the best vets around so hopefully between the hospital vet and the home nurses these girls will be able to live life to the best.

Ann

Fidget said:
jorats said:
These girls, I think were just in an unfortunate place. A family that got too busy and didn't see the signs. I guess in the end, the family knew it was time to place them in a better home. It's just a shock to see them like that
Sorry Jo. But I'm absolutely not OK with that. I can't knock someone for not taking a kid to the vet to have a tumor removed, but the condition these kids are in? They are in horrible condition! Not just from stuff that requires a vet, but from someone not even trreating them for mites. And not even feeding them properly, these kids are suffering from malnutrition.
I think people are trying to be considerate of the former 'parents' and I sure commend them for finally sending them where they will be well loved and cared for rather than letting them live/die neglected in a cage.

But untreated mites, and malnutrition from eating whatever the people found to feed them, not to mention it was pretty obvious when they they were delivered in a dirty cage what they lived in when nobody was watching.
I don't care who knows these people, pass on a message, thank god you gave them up, Why didn't you do it sooner??

leave it to Fidget to absolutely read my mind. :)

It's good to hear that the rats are in good hands.

As for the tooth abscess... Well, I've experienced a few, some on my own rats, some on others, and I've never heard of it ending happily :(
I hope your vet can fix it though.

I've had 2 rats with tooth abscess. One fought with the abscess for a very long time, getting it drained all the time, but after a while he just gave up fighting and died :(
The other one, well he never really woke up after the surgery. He was dazzled when I brought him home, so I let him sleep of in the carrier. When I checked on him later, he was gone. 2 years and 3 months old, maybe to old for a surgery.
A friend of mine had one with a tooth abscess. It started spreading through his face and he got paralysed in the head, so he had to be put to sleep too.

A couple of years ago, we had the sweetest little girl having to fight for her life with a tooth abscess. Tanzie was almost 33 months when she had to endure the pain and suffering due to a tooth abscess. She had surgery, cleanings but in the end, it was just too much.
I hate tooth abscesses...I have yet to find a story with a happy ending.

OMG!!! :redhot: I just started reading this thread and I am shocked and saddened by this whole situation and I can only hope that if there is not to be a happy ending then I hope that these babies can learn the love and happiness that comes from having an owner that cares about them, which I know you will do Jorats :nod: I wish people would think about their actions before they act on them and learn to treat their pets as they do their own human children. Best possible healing vibes to your girls :heart:

How does one tell if there is a tooth abcess? It can be so hard to get in that little mouth to poke around..

Summer has a lump beside her nose and the abcess under her chin popped a few days ago. The tooth is black on that side too. The vet thinks that whole side of her face is involved but will see better once Summer is asleep.

Summer had her operation today, to remove her tooth, to clean her abscess.
When the vet opened her up... Summer had no more facial bone. It was all infection. Summer started bleeding and she died.

I'm so sorry mamarat... you loved her for the time you had her. She felt your love, she felt some human goodness before leaving this world.
:cry:

I'm so very sorry about Summer, mom, dad. :( At least she had your love for her last days. :rose: :angel2: She is now pain free, thank goodness.

Oh mamarat, I am sooo sorry!!! :cry:
As Jo said, she felt your love and now knows that things are not always horrible.

Can I kill someone now? :sad-p: Damn I am crying at my desk, what a sweet girl. :heart:

Back