The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi, hoping this will answer my problems haha

I have 3 african soft fur rats, 1 female 2 male. The females sister who she shared a cage with disappeared last night and is suspected to be killed by the cat :( now she is alone.
My question is if I get her spayed can she live happily with her two intact brothers? or is it best to get both brothers neutered?
Will they fight over her is I keep them intact?
Spaying is a great solution for your girl. It will also reduce stress in the boys because she won't be going into heat so won't smell sexy to them.
If your girl is just missing but there is no evidence of harm, she may still be floating around the house.

My rats' fur is getting very yellow. I wash their fleece every week, why is this happening? :( Shouldn't they be grooming themselves?
I would bathe them but they are very skittish about hands and I dont want to traumatize them.

obviously id never out intact males and females together haha no babies wanted here

Anyway I went to the vet and instead of doing a spay (too dangerous) the vet offered an implant injection which would act as a contraceptive for 3 years. It would stop her going into heat and stuff.

Has anyone else had this done?
Is there any side effects?

My rats' fur is getting very yellow. I wash their fleece every week, why is this happening? :( Shouldn't they be grooming themselves?
I would bathe them but they are very skittish about hands and I dont want to traumatize them.

How old are your rats? What colour are they? What sex are they as well? Males can be notoriously lazier than females about grooming, but there's ways around that. For lazy rats I often just use a washcloth and wipe it over the dirty bits, then they will groom the "nasty wet" off :)
What type of bedding do you use

How old are your rats? What colour are they? What sex are they as well? Males can be notoriously lazier than females about grooming, but there's ways around that. For lazy rats I often just use a washcloth and wipe it over the dirty bits, then they will groom the "nasty wet" off :)
What type of bedding do you use
I have them on fleece. Spayed female and neutered male, anywhere from 4-6 months and they are PEW and hooded respectively. You're right, the boy is way dirtier! . I'll try a washcloth but they're gonna be maaaaaaad.

Last edited:
I have them on fleece. Spayed female and neutered male, anywhere from 4-6 months and they are PEW and hooded respectively. You're right, the boy is way dirtier! . I'll try a washcloth but they're gonna be maaaaaaad.

HAHAHA, just make sure the cloth is really wet and just touch on the dirty bits while they are in the cage or your lap :)

the implants only last a year? the vet said they would last around 3 years :/
The rat im looking to get the implant is 11months but she is very tiny because she is an ASF rat and the runt of the litter. the vet said she was just to small and fragile to survive the surgery.

the implants only last a year? the vet said they would last around 3 years :/
The rat im looking to get the implant is 11months but she is very tiny because she is an ASF rat and the runt of the litter. the vet said she was just to small and fragile to survive the surgery.

ASF's are a totally different ballgame, most vets have never seen them as pets so it would be like surgery with a mouse. Are you trying to have your ASF girly live with boys? Or are you trying to prevent those horrible tumours they get?

hi, so im now abandoning the idea of my African soft rat having an implant or being spayed (too much money-the vet wants stupid amounts of money to do it), so I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 female fancy mice to live with her. Im not allowed the males as they smell to much.

hi, so im now abandoning the idea of my African soft rat having an implant or being spayed (too much money-the vet wants stupid amounts of money to do it), so I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 female fancy mice to live with her. Im not allowed the males as they smell to much.

I did that with my rescue natal girl, and she LOOVED her mice. :D

Definitely advisable to get 2.

sep30LatteandMini.jpg~original

I have a Q: how often do young ratties (2.5 month) pee? When I am laying on the sofa I often get a whiff of scent, I assume from the rat cage, that lasts for a few seconds and then disappears again. It is hard to tell if it is urine or some other scent they produce. I am used to it, but it is quite strong and I wonder if it would stink for other people. My ratties are completely healthy, btw. It doesn't matter if I just cleaned their cage or whether it has been a few days.

Latest posts

Back