The New Boys...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the same thing - his eyes look relaxed. I think he is going to fit in just fine. :nod:
Welcome to your retirement home Arne!

Wonderful !!

Were you able to rescue all of NeeNee's rats from there??

No, she has 4 more, 2 she is keeping, and 2 she will be rehoming...but I just don't have room for any more...I sent home 5 babies yesterday, but took in 4 single males :p

Arne fits in sooo well with my oldies/sickie bed group, its like he always lived there. Me, he is still very worried about but I'll give him time to watch the others interact with me, and I am sure he'll come around :D

I think that he spoke to my rats right away soon after arriving.

When I saw him originally he was always hiding under something. I reached in and tried to pat him, and he bolted like an unsocialized baby rat...then he flew up to the top back corner of the cage, trembling in fear...hoping I wouldn't see him...

Here there's only the bed cage (open all the time), blankets and pillows to go under, always a way to get away, no feeling of being trapped. Friends he hasn't had in awhile...the human interaction part can wait, he's already a much much happier boy.

and Jaxxy loves him :D

Dec1914JaxxywithhisnewfriendArne.jpg~original

Now that he is cuddled up to a friend, I can stroke the friend and he won't move unless I touch him, he'll get used to my hand in proximity. Then I will let a finger slip over and stroke him too and hopefully he will just ignore it... :D

Omg that last picture is way too cute! So glad we freed up some space for these guys! What a great Christmas gift for these guys. They went from living in horrible conditions at a byb's house to the ratty savior where they will be safe, loved and well care for.

I had to create a barrier preventing the boys from getting onto the bed and with my defenseless oldies...

Milo was much better about being picked up, he froze instead of struggled when I asked, then told him I was going to pick him up. He was a bit anxious, but settled for a bit in my arms.

Dec2014Milo5.jpg~original

He even dangled for a second...not happily but not completely stressed out like before.

Dec2014Milodangling.jpg~original

His reward for being so good is to go onto the desk and bobble around. Unfortunately this also means the smells of the other rats will start working him up a bit

You can see he's still calm here

Dec2014Milo.jpg~original

and here the fur is starting to go up, which can be a sign of stress or hormones or even territorialism.

Dec2014Milo2.jpg~original

Dec2014Milo3.jpg~original

Dec2014Milo4.jpg~original

He's starting to rake high up his sides, a sign of dominance and it also gets the gland in their hip going so he can rub and mark his area. At this point, I do a firm stroke as he goes by watching for reaction. If he whirls then he's a bit too bent out of shape, and I will just leave him alone or put him back if he's been out long enough. If he doesn't react much to me, then we keep going. I am very careful when he's near my hands, and remove them...as he could decide to bite down...so why give them a chance. He's actually calmed down again, and he's grooming with his fur down and 5 minutes ago he was crouched in front of the monitor while I was typing this post, bruxxing and boggling as I told him he was wonderful!!!

He will need a neuter still but at this point, its not a huge deal. He's not wacked out and constantly hormonal which really takes a toll on a rat's psyche :)

he also likes when I lean over and kiss him, he stops and waits for those. :)

If he gets scared, I stop what we're doing but don't necessarily retreat...just wait for him to relax.

I am VERY pleased with his progress!! :)

Oh those poor babies, glad they found their way to you. That eye looks better than Peanut's did when he had his issue. Hopefully it will just dry up. I do hope they all relax and enjoy rat life like they should.

Tempie's eye is not doing well...its progressing in the wrong direction but still not "dangerous" yet.....looks horrific, but still moist, able to close eye, and no smell. He also doesn't seem bothered by it which is vital.

Dr Munn is out of the country right now, so pray to the rat gods he makes it to when he returns.

Here you can see the actual divot out of his eye

Dec2414Tempieseye.jpg~original

and here he's pushing to get out from under my hand which is why his eye is wide open and looks bigger than the other...its not.

Dec2414Tempieseye2.jpg~original

Poor sweetie...
I hope the antibiotics keep any infection at bay while his body decides what to do with that eye.
I was just reading up a little on corneal ulcers, and the treatment is aimed at treating the cause, be it an infection from bacteria, viruses or fungi, or from trauma, excessively dry eyes, etc.
They discuss using eye drops to treat any infection, and also to avoid steroids in case the infection is masked. Have you tried using antibacterial drops in his eye?

Back