Telazol for neuters?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just dosed all 4 with the ibu. Tomorrow morning first thing I'll be calling the vet for pain meds - what should we ask for? Knowing this vet, she'll want to do an injection med. Is metacam safe to use orally?

Don't get an injected pain med, injectable metacam (or meloxicam is not for oral use, but there's an oral type they use for dogs and cats...make sure if they give you oral metacam to get he one for dogs (1.5 mg/ml) rather than the .5 mg/ml of cats, which means you have to get THREE times as much of the nasty stuff into your rats.

If they refuse to give you pain meds, which these vets might, you can use the ibuprofen til they feel better (2 days for neuters, 3 days for spays)

Okay. :) We're just going to do the one dose this evening, because the vets might insist on a quick exam before giving pain meds, and we don't want to overlap anything, even if it's generally safe to do so. They've got small warm-packs (snack-size ziploc bags of warm water, double-bagged and wrapped in fleece, so no leaks or super-hot-spots) in one end of the cage, with plenty of room to move away from the warmth if it's too much. After giving the ibu they all seemed to go for water, thankfully. :) I hadn't seen vega drinking all day prior to this. Winry sucked water right out of the syringe. I'll make some blocks available for them through the night, too. c: With any luck they'll just give us an oral pain med, but if not we'll start back up on the ibuprofen very early tomorrow morning and dose every 4 hours. Thanks so much for all the help ;u; I hope they start to feeling better now and recover quickly.

Vet gave us Rimadyl. Called for pain meds in the morning, my partner went in and paid 2$ for half a rimadyl tablet crushed into small chunks 1/8" in size or so. Said to give "one chunk per rat" and left it at that - we got a chunk each into the girls, but they're all about the same size, and I don't feel that something strong enough for a 6oz rat should be given to a rat that's only 2oz, and the boys aren't owie stretching anymore. In fact, Caboose and Vega are bouncing around almost as much as they did before the neuter - running up to the bars to see me whenever I enter a room or say their names or start singing, accepting food from my fingers, and drinking and playing normally. Of the girls, Sinclair is the only one owie stretching. Winry prefers to lay down and stretch out in the tissue box, but she's not stretching like she was or sucking in her sides, and she even felt good enough to jump into my hands and cuddle behind my hair for a few minutes today. (And fell asleep there, she seems to be a very sleepy baby.)

Do any of you know much about Rimadyl? It seems to be the chewable tablet. I don't want to mix it with the ibuprofen for fear of interaction, but if I can that'd be great. I don't know the strength of the dose. The bottle says 25mg, but it doesn't say whether that's per "chunk", or for the total amount that they crushed... And they ONLY gave us enough for each rat for one single dose.

Rimadyl is also an nsaid, so you can't keep giving the ibuprofen. You could supplement with acetaminophen if you have it (get back with us and we can help with dosing). I'm not sure how long Rimadyl lasts with rats.

Your vet makes me despair. Metacam oral is a staple in almost ALL vet clinics as it is given to dogs and cats regularly.

So if they gave you a 25 mg pill of Rimadyl, told you to break it into 8th's, each rat is getting 3.13 mg of rimadyl, I assume given twice a day?

5 mg/kg, SQ, q24hrs

or

5 mg/kg to 10 mg/kg, PO, q24hrs

5 mg/1000 grams is what this looks like?

which is 1 mg/100 grams.

So your babies are getting too much IF the pill was actually 25 mg.

Stick with the ibu if you can, its basically the same thing, but you know EXACTLY what you have and what you should dose.

from ratguide.com

Carprofen is a member of the class of drugs known as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). This is the same class as other more common over-the-counter remedies such as ibuprofen (e.g. Advil), naproxen (e.g. Aleve), ketoprofen (Orudis), and Aspirin.

Your vet makes me despair. Metacam oral is a staple in almost ALL vet clinics as it is given to dogs and cats regularly.

So if they gave you a 25 mg pill of Rimadyl, told you to break it into 8th's, each rat is getting 3.13 mg of rimadyl, I assume given twice a day?

Actually, Lilspaz, they only gave us one little chunk for each rat. Not even enough for more than a single dose. We have four little chunks of the Rimadyl, that's all.

They seem to be recovering well enough that I put Winry and Sinclair back into their normal cage with Epsilon. Their attitudes changed immediately! No more droopy sad babies, they got excited and happy and started bruxing/boggling. Epsilon was so happy to be back with them that she started popping. They piled in a big rat pile and fell asleep.

I put the boys back on aspen and they're happier, too.

Back