Sunflower seeds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePokemonMaster

How many sunflower seeds can a rat have and stay healthy? I ask because Amanda would binge on them if I let her, and I want her to be happy, especially when they come home. But I don't want obesity either.

I would only give her the occasional seed. Those are pretty high in fat. Try to find a vegetable that they will enjoy as a more frequent treat. My girls love peas and kale.

The local grocery here carries the unsalted seeds with the bulk goods in the healthy food section. Whereas all the bags of sunflower seeds on the snack row are salted.

Pea and corn fishing is always a favourite, and entertaining too.
Cheese is grabbed fast but some people don't feed their rats milk products.
Scrambled eggs is really fast too and popular.

It's a very natural, complete source of nutrition. I wouldn't give it to them every day, but I think it's fine occasionally. My rats like to get different treats each day. They are more excited when it's something new. Salad, rice, fruit, oatmeal, anything healthy is fair game. They have their regular blocks for the necessary nutrition, and then this complements it.

Avocado, high in fat so don't five it often. Yogurt, cheese - also we don't give often. My boys enjoy pancakes for breakfast - once in a while (no syrup), but occasionally blueberries added. Gerber baby puffs

Avocado, high in fat so don't five it often. Yogurt, cheese - also we don't give often. My boys enjoy pancakes for breakfast - once in a while (no syrup), but occasionally blueberries added. Gerber baby puffs
I've heard quite a bit about baby food, it's a pretty good option?

I'll give my rats a bit of my morning shake and then when I make salads and stuff I give them bits of cucumber blueberries they don't seem to care for strawberries but love banana and hard boiled eggs

Back