Rocky Has Pulmonary Abscesses

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluid in the lungs shows up in xrays right? There wasn't any there in last week's xray. How else would one tell if there is fluid in the lungs?
Thanks for the info

Fluid in the lungs shows up in xrays right? There wasn't any there in last week's xray. How else would one tell if there is fluid in the lungs?
Thanks for the info

What clinic info do you need? I pm'd you their email? You can hear fluid in the lungs and on an x-ray it should show up if its in the puerperal space. My heart boys has a tendency only to eat if you finger feed them too. They lose weight fast do to the extra energy it take for them to breathe.

EDIT: Just got to watch your videos. First two (before vet) are exactly how Axe/Throttle looked when they were having bad days/moments, but they lived that way for months - they weren't in distress just compensating. When it got excessive we switched medications. Axe could not survive with baytril/doxy and he was on a heart medication, but he had an enlarged atrium (chamber in his heart). In fact, Axe would probably still be with us if we didn't say enough because he did get to the point where he wasn't having a good quality of life, but he was stubborn. You can try prednisone to increase his appetite, we did that with Popper (Chest mass) - it didn't work, he was too sick and that point and it was a last ditch effort, but Rocky isn't at that point yet. He looked really good on the 5 day video - he's going to have good and bad days. I cannot deal you how many times I called them and said we need to bring Axe in and have him pts only to cancel because an hour or two later he was back to his "Normal".

Last edited:
Just weighed him, 484 but he was moving a lot.
He was 488 at the vet last week so I think he's doing OK in that dept?
Gonna start calling I'll post more later

Well she decided against zithro and any steroids.
She says zithro is a last ditch effort and would like to try baytril/doxy for at least 2 weeks. She also said zithro is one of the known antibiotics to not have an effect on myco?
I mentioned jo's vet and that I had their info but she was clearly very busy and not very interested. She turned down steroids because of the anti-immunity affect they have.

She did refill my theophylline which he can stay on indefinitely, which is good because Im pretty sure that is helping him a ton now (he improves about an hour after taking it)

She also gave me meloxicam to try to help with inflammation, I gave him some around 2. Not sure either way if it helped much, I was cleaning the cage after that.

He had some scrambled eggs, these girls are gonna get fat from me trying to keep his weight on.
It's funny how a few months ago I was worried about him being overweight and now I have to prevent the opposite.

Ah dspch I just hope so much I don't have to bring him to be pts. He hates the car and the vet so much, I'd feel so awful. v_v

he's doing okay for now... I think keeping it extra cool in here helps (68, he seems uncomfortable at 72+)
I've also kept a fan running (although not pointed at the cage) and the air circulation seems to help.

My doxy is also 50mg/ml.
They can mix it at any strength so that's probably why there is variations
I hate how much that stuff separates! !

He doesn't seem that bad - Axe was like that for months. If you do have to have him pts she lets you stay with them the whole time. First they get an injection then when your ready (insist on it) they get gas sedation before the final shot. I close my eyes for that part. Send her the info via email that you have about the zithro - she's just learning that. As she told me, she was always told it was bad for rabbits so they never had it. She did the research and its not bad for them. She really isn't usually like this. We did metacam too. We were just discussing Peanut's 400 gram weight loss and I don't think its anything to be concerned about. He is no longer getting baby food, baby cereal, ensure, etc - anything he had access to while we were trying to keep weight on Axe and Throttle so I know what you mean about your girls.

Hope he starts feeling better

This is really unfortunate. He's having a hard time in the video. I wish we had real documents on the zithro being effective. It's just something that my vet and I have found works wonders with baytril and we just do it. I can understand the steroid caution. So in two weeks if he has not improved, I would bring him back in and beg for zithro/baytril combo. Tell her you know you are losing him anyway so please allow you to try the combo.

His face is thinning out, so hard to see in such a young boy. Is his chest harder than a normal rats?

With PA, I usually started with baytril/doxy until long term, and when that stopped working I went to baytril or doxy/zithro. When they started losing a lot of weight, then I would add the dex every 3 days or so, to keep the lungs open. This usually gives them a ton of relief in the end stages. I am so sorry...PA sucks.

For nebulizing I used hypertonic saline and nebulized into a cat carrier with a towel over it. I put my noisy neb into a cardboard box and piled pillows over it to muffle the sound.

You can see my set up if you do a search for "rhesus nebulizer"

Last edited:
His chest is harder than others, yes.
He feels thin to me.
I'm gonna weigh him later.
In September, when I first brought him to the vet and insisted something was wrong with his breathing, he was 468. December 31 at another vet he was 517. Late February at another vet he was 500.
He was 488 at his visit on the 14th. They didn't seem concerned because he was 468 last time we were at that clinic, even though I said I weighed him at home and he had been at a pretty consistent 500+.

Idk I feel hopeless. I love these little rats but I feel there is nothing I can do without a vet I trust. I've fought since September to get him help.
It didn't have to get this bad. One of them could have helped me, could have believed me.
But no. It's too important to rush off to another appointment, to get in as many $80 sessions in a day as they can. I called 3 times over 3 days just to get a response about the zithro. It doesn't matter, it's just a rat. They only live 2 years anyway, right? I feel like this is all I've gotten. I feel hopeless. The best I can do isn't good enough.

Last edited:
You are your rats' voice. You are also learning. The more you go through, the more experience you have and the more you know.
One of my first rats died of a pituitary tumour, which can be treated to improve their quality and length of life. I had no idea she even had a PT until a couple of years after she died when I learned about them on the Shack. So she died early because of my ignorance. Now I know better and can catch it early and treat it.
You are learning to recognize problems and to push for specific treatments. You will help your boy as best as you can, and next time you will be even better at it because of having gone through it before. Rocky is helping you become a more knowledgable rat owner. Do what you can, but don't blame yourself for his condition. You are not a vet. You have not had hundreds of rats over the years. Everyone started with one rat...

Joanne we lost Curley the same way - begging vet after vet to please give us the medication we needed, but no one would listen. Then we finally found where we are now and where Rocky is currently being seen, but it was too late and we had to let him go. Kona then got PT and he was the first rat with PT they treated, but they tried and then they tried on someone else's rat. They do care and she has put alot of effort into learning more about rats. Axe, Throttle, & Grumpy all got days, weeks, and months longer with us - time they wouldn't of had without her help.

I know she cares about Rocky she talked about him at our last appointment. I don't understand why Velo is having such a difficult time there. I did have issues there with Peanut's eye, but I refuse to let that vet even look at my ratties anymore. Believe me, they know not even to suggest an appointment with her.

I really hope Rocky gets better and the meds start to work. We all know how frustrating getting care for them can be.

This is really unfortunate. He's having a hard time in the video. I wish we had real documents on the zithro being effective. It's just something that my vet and I have found works wonders with baytril and we just do it. I can understand the steroid caution. So in two weeks if he has not improved, I would bring him back in and beg for zithro/baytril combo. Tell her you know you are losing him anyway so please allow you to try the combo.

I too would suggest that you try zithro (10 mg/Ib)/baytril combo twice a day, or zithro (10 mg/Ib)/baytril/doxy combo twice a day, for at east 6 weeks

and a better anti inflammatory if possibly
I understand, my vet will give pred but has a problem with dex

If he is accumulating fluid in his lungs he may also need Lasix

Also: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

Hope he is soon feeling better

Last edited:
I'd have to say the nebulizer is indeed not worth it. I tried it a few more times in the interest of getting more antibiotics in him but he simply doesn't do well.
He's at 477 now, so 9 grams lost over 2 weeks.
I fight very hard to feed him constantly, he clearly cannot eat anything besides mush and very soft, small food. Working 13 hours a day makes it hard. I hate not being here. He panics sometimes and all he wants is to spend time on my shoulder. I wish I could be with him more. But alas, capitalism rules my life.
It'll be another week & a half till we see what the vet has to say.
His breathing in general has neither improved or worsened.

a7f415cf1cd0882c21a44c1cd4eceec1.jpg

Where he spends every second he can.

The meds are not working or he would be showing some improvement by now
Please make another vet appointment because waiting another week and a half is too long,
Tell them the meds are not working and he needs to see a vet now
or find another vet that knows more about rats or is willing to research and to consult with other vets experienced in caring for rats

Please try zithro (10 mg/Ib) + baytril combo twice a day, or zithro (10 mg/Ib) + baytril + doxy combo twice a day, for at least 6 weeks

and a better anti inflammatory if possible such as prednisone or dex

If he is accumulating fluid in his lungs he may also need Lasix

Hope he is soon feeling better

Last edited:
SQ please realize this is the third time you've posted in this thread.
I've said multiple times that I have fought to get him zithro and dex/pred to no avail.

It has been extremely emotionally difficult on me that I've done everything I can to get other meds and had no success.
I've talked to the vet again recently. There are no other rat vets. I've posted here many times already that I've tried many different ones. I may be able to get dex but I don't feel right taking it from someone else, not to mention it would be limited and as far as I know I'd have to wait 72 hours to give him any after the metacam and the metacam is clearly keeping him feeling good. So vet prescribed constant doses of metacam is better than maybe getting some dex intermittently and him not having anything for pain/inflammation for 3 days.
I shouldn't even have to explain myself on that but I guess you think my explanation of "I can't get it" isn't satisfactory.

So please have a shred of respect and stop telling me what I already know.

I'm done posting here, I was only doing it as a place to keep track of how things were going but I may as well write it in a journal because it is doing me NO good at all to be told that I'm not doing good enough.

Last edited:
Back