Rhydian-- wild baby rat growing up--New update!! 8/20/13

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would ask to speak to the person who will be caring for the rat. That way you can speak to them directly and voice your concerns so they can address them.

As Joanne said, you need to talk to the person who will be cariing for the baby ....
Do they know anything about caring for a baby rat, about rehabing a baby rat, have they rehabed baby rats before, do they have a litter of baby rats being rehabed that your baby could join, etc?
Will they give you updates and let you know the outcome?

Personally I doubt a lone baby has much chance surviving alone in the wild ... rats live in groups.
Too bad you are so far away ...

Okay, so there's a new game plan. Aurora has an appointment on Wednesday to get her lump looked at, and possibly aspirated. I'm going to bring both her, and the baby, to get the baby checked out too, just to make sure it's healthy, and to find out its species and gender. While I'm there I'm going to ask for the number for the wild life rehabilitator, and give them a call MYSELF so I can make absolute sure that they know exactly what they're doing, and I can find out how they're going to do it.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just keep on keepin' on if I don't feel ABSOLUTELY one hundred percent about the rehab situation, but it sucks that this happened RIGHT NOW, because I'm officially leaving for school in September, and while I'm gone my parents are going to care for my rats. I'm trying my damn hardest not to get too close to the baby, and ABSOLUTELY only touch/handle it when necessary, but it's a little difficult to do that with frequent feedings. :wallbang: I just don't want to unload another rodent onto them when I leave, especially one who may have special needs considering it's a wildling and may not be that tame/friendly and therefore have specific handling needs. They're great with the rats.. but those are tame, chubby, social rodents who are all over a year old.

But to update on the baby itself, the little thing is moving around a LOT more now that I've gotten the feeding thing down, and it's getting situated into it's environment. Where, before, I could leave for work, come back on my lunch for a feeding, and the only giveaway that a rodent was in the cage at all was a little lump in the corner under a flap of fleece on the heating pad, NOW when I come home, the two plushies in there with it are tipped over, and the fleece is always disheveled. Baby has been going to the bathroom by itself! :dance: I still stimulate after feedings, but for the most part the baby seems to be able to use the potty on its own. Also, it seems to have taken a liking to lab blocks soaked in formula, I leave one in there in a Snapple cap as a make shift dish (I also leave one with some formula thickened with a bit of baby cereal) But the block is always noticably nibbled, where as the formula/cereal mixture isn't disturbed too much.

mm.jpg

mmmm.jpg

mmm.jpg

It's funny how you can tell it's a wild rat even though it's the same species as the domestics we have as pets. Their heads are definitely shaped differently.
It's most definitely a R. norvegicus.

These are R. rattus (roof rat). Yours is most definitely not a roof rat.

Adorable baby :heart:
So glad the baby is thriving under your care.

As you likely know, your baby is a wild Norway rat, while our pet rats are domesticated Norway rats.
(I was thinking about it too and asked a few people what they thought)

I owe you so much for actively helping me through this, SQ. you've had my back the whole time through this situation, thank you so, so much for all of the helpful websites you've linked me to, and info you've given. It's really helped me save this baby's life.

Baby's doing really well today. It's curiousity is kicking in, I see it peek out from the little fleece cave it's come to call home and run around every so often before hiding again. It's really taken to the formula now, feeding times aren't as fussy as they used to be, and I've been offering it more in a dish, and less in a syringe. :joy: Those little teeth are really starting to come in, so I offered a bit of mashed green bean baby food, which was a real hit. It's crazy how much they change within only a few days..

So, I think it's a boy? Any second opinions? And I'm sorry for the crappy quality, I had to take the picture with my phone because my camera's in need of new batteries.
2-3.jpg

Joanne said:
I would say yes, looks like a boy. Have you considered keeping him? Or will temperament determine that?

I am considering it, but I'm keeping all options open until a vet visit tomorrow. That's going to be the ultimate turning factor, when I need to hunker down and really decide what I'm going to do. If it's a male that makes me worry a little less, with a neuter he should calm down a little more, and possibly be integrated in with my females a little easier, right?

You could have him neutered when he is big enough and intro him in with your girls.

But you will need to work on socializing him asap.
From what I have read, getting a same sex 4 or 4.5 week old baby pet rat to bond with him will do a lot toward helping him to adjust to life as a pet.
It would also give him another baby to cuddle and play with.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
I really look forward to your updates.

So today was the big day. After looking over Aurora (Everything going on with her and her lump is in a separate thread) My amazing Vet, Doctor Cabral, gave the baby a look over. She gave the baby a clean bill of health, said that it's got a good weight on it for it's age, and told me to just keep doing whatever it is that I'm doing, because the baby's doing awesome! :dance: She also told me that she agrees with me, she's almost positive the little thing's a boy!

I spoke to her about the baby's future, and what she thought was best. She even flat out told me that a wild life rehabilitator wasn't a good idea, and even if they wouldn't flat out tell me that they had no plans on caring for the baby, that most likely, he'd be fed to another animal. She also said that, though it's likely he could survive in the wild, it would be leaving it up to fate's hands, considering he has no siblings to bond to in order to keep his wild roots, and he was already pretty obviously bonded to me. When she and her tech were trying to look him over, he kept running and jumping into my arms from the exam table.

So now here comes the socializing! Baby's going to be spending a LOT of time in my shirt pockets, apparently. When he's old enough I'm going to schedule him for a neuter so I can move him in with my girls, because, unfortunately, getting another baby his age right now is completely out of the question. I wasn't prepared at all for a fifth rodent, there's no way I'd have the time, space, or money for a fairly young sixth. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures tonight, because I still haven't gotten any batteries from my camera, but I promise that tomorrow I'll have a bunch of them for you guys!

I guess it's time to start thinking of names!

So they baby got his first taste of exploring today. Now that I'm keeping him, I want him to become as accustomed to the sounds and smells of the house as possible, besides, at this age I'm pretty sure they're starting to explore. Just to give you a taste of how tiny he is, this is the same strawberry that he's playing in:

GEDC0012.jpg

It's shocking how BIG my girls have gotten when I go to play with them after I put the baby back for a nap! I heft Harlow up, and wonder if I've ever accidentally mixed their Harlan with Miracle Gro! :giggle: But here are the pictures of little Rhydian exploring.
GEDC1182.jpg

GEDC1178.jpg

GEDC1179.jpg

GEDC1207.jpg

GEDC1185.jpg

GEDC1208.jpg

GEDC1209.jpg

GEDC1210.jpg

GEDC1212.jpg

Snack time break :heart:
GEDC1214.jpg

GEDC1216.jpg

GEDC1218.jpg

GEDC1219.jpg

And then we liked the strawberry so much that it went into the nursery cage. Just don't tell Aurora! She's still fairly convinced she can fit into that thing..
GEDC1225.jpg

Oh wow, he is itty-bitty! Even my syrian hamsters have trouble fitting in that strawberry hidey!

Your new little gent is absolutely precious. So glad that he's obviously taken a shine to you - best of luck with the socialization!

Wild babies? Awsome :D well ok not awsome cause he was seperated from mommy, but on the plus side he's got a big new human mommy and defiently a much bigger longer happier life ahead of him :D

Back