Rats sneezing several times within the hour [no other symptoms] Respiratory disease?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most common med is Baytril to treat Mycoplasmosis, which is endemic in the pet rat population. I would try them on that first, and if there is no response after a few days, then add Doxycycline. Any time you are treating for a respiratory infection in rats, the guideline is treat for a minimum of four weeks after symptoms have disappeared. I learned this the hard way with my very first rats. Minnie was treated for two weeks (standard for other animals) and everything was OK. Then it came back after a few weeks and was totally resistant to the antibiotic the second time. :(

Most common med is Baytril to treat Mycoplasmosis, which is endemic in the pet rat population. I would try them on that first, and if there is no response after a few days, then add Doxycycline. Any time you are treating for a respiratory infection in rats, the guideline is treat for a minimum of four weeks after symptoms have disappeared. I learned this the hard way with my very first rats. Minnie was treated for two weeks (standard for other animals) and everything was OK. Then it came back after a few weeks and was totally resistant to the antibiotic the second time. :(

Aww. Hope she was okay. I'll definitely take your advice on that one.. wouldn't want them to get sick again.

So on top of the sneezing I also noticed Momo's nose getting a tiny bit runny. Another sign of Mycoplasmosis I'm guessing and not a simple URI? Or are URIs and Mycoplasmosis the same thing?

So on top of the sneezing I also noticed Momo's nose getting a tiny bit runny. Another sign of Mycoplasmosis I'm guessing and not a simple URI? Or are URIs and Mycoplasmosis the same thing?
They tend to be hand-in-hand. I don't know if it's possible to differentiate them.

Back