Rat and mouse housed together, help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a sweet story. I have full confidence you'll only do what's in their best interests Kat. They truly belong together don't they. Every now again life can surprise you!

You guys have made me feel so much better. I was so afraid that you'd think I was making a bad decision, and was taking unnecessary risks. I was terrified to update about them, and was considering not posting about it at all, but I didn't want to keep them hidden, like some kind of dirty secret. Thank you, so much, for understanding. I love you guys.

Nah you didn't take any unnecessary risks. You heeded Maggie's sound advice like most of us would of because she knows all too well. You did the right thing and put Sancy (Sid and Nancy!) But time has proven Sancy the exception lol. It really is such a sweet story. Please (this is more a desperate demand haha) keep us updated with pics of them!

You made a wonderful decision! Good on you, you have such a great, kind heart. I am so happy for the precious babies. I'll be looking for updates! :heart:

Just wanted to offer my experiences, when I was brand spanking new rat owner and had rats and mice together, they got along splendidly. Never had a single issue, they were bonded. Slept, ate and explored together happily. The 3 rats that grew up with 2 mice loved them to death, however any other rats that did not grow up with the mice made it clear they would harm them in a second. I think it is very much the growing up with them that matters, otherwise it would be nigh impossible to not have a bad reaction.

Reading through some of the earlier replies it almost made me feel kinda sad so many people were adamant about separating them without having the necessary information on bonding and behavior with eachother. Sometimes animals know much better than their human caretakers and I'm so glad it worked out excellently for the pair in the end, as it did for my 2 girls with my rattie guys. So just wanted to offer my experiences, it serves to note predator/prey relationships can frequently be bypassed by being raised together. While it isn't always wise at all, mice and rats are similar enough that no issues should arise.

In the end, the only negative from that crew of mixed 5 was the rats suffering a period of depression when the mice passed away and were absent from the cage. But that in itself is normal for any intelligent creature.

Note: I haven't been on the forums in years as I finally stopped adopting ratties after having 15 total over several years but when I got the alert for this thread in the email today I had to stop in a comment.

Just to give a quick update, Sid and Nancy are doing well :) They love each other so much it melts my heart. The most precious thing in the entire world is watching Sid groom Nancy. I wish I could get a decent video of it, I will as soon as I can, but usually when I point the camera at their cage they stop, haha.

She crawls over to him between his front legs and he lays down and holds her in his arms, and licks her. My heart seriously hurts. They're such weird little soul mates :heart:

Sid is still skittish. He's protective of Nancy, so if she's near he doesn't want anything to do with you and stands in front of her like a little guard dog. He loves ear rubs though, and they usually calm him down. Nancy has let me hold her a few times now, I don't do it too often yet because I don't want to scare her or push my luck, and I want to build trust with her, but she's so cute. Such a chubby little ball of fluff. Mice are SO soft! Man is she stinky though, one mouse smells worse than my cage of 8 male rats, haha. Someone suggested that I add parsley to her daily veggies, that something in it helps neutralize mousey odor.

Thanks for the update Kat. Just imagining Sid licking and grooming his Nancy makes me fit to burst! Their story is one of the loveliest things I've ever heard. They're little darlings and I often think of them. Would love to see some pics of these two; the video you describe would personally make my day lol.

This is as good as I can get when he starts grooming her. They both stop and stare at me, haha. I feel like that annoying mom who's trying to make her kids pose for prom pictures. And here's a picture of Sid being adorable, all tucked into his fleece. Then Nancy wanted to know what we were up to so she crawled on top of his head, haha

GEDC3398.jpg

11903339_1031923406820691_495259759_n.jpg

11873901_1031923466820685_1861801004_n.jpg

They look so happy. Nancy is such a pretty little chunk. She looks more like a young rat haha. Sid's little teethsies. He looks like such a softie pants :lotsohearts:

Back