Raising Money For Vet Bills

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzle87

I did a search, and as far as I can tell, there is no post with ideas for raising money for vet bills. As a pet forum, it is inevitable that there will be I don't have money and can't afford the vet bills and my rat is sick! posts. I think it might be helpful, if we post methods of raising money for vet bills in a pinch. There really are a lot of ways to get money that people don't usually think of.

Some of these take longer than others.

Pawn electronics/tools/etc, either to sell or to loan
Garage/Yard Sale
Care Credit (veterinary credit card)
Apply for a Regular Credit Card
Sell old clothes, books, etc on craigslist or ebay
Offer to do extra "chores" if a child
Ask for a loan from friends, family, etc (if you do PAY back ASAP even if in small increments!! it's wrong to default on your loan, and also burns bridges for next time you're in a jam)
Rake, Mow, Shovel, Etc
Babysit
Tutor
Sell Plasma
Participate in research studies

I wasn't sure where to put this?

This thread is a great idea!

It's amazing how much JUNK a person can accumulate in a couple months. Every now and then, we will clean out our house, and find things that we can sell on Kijiji for even $5 or $10. It works well because it gets rid of junk we don't need, it allows someone else to use it rather than it just going to the trash, and we get a couple bucks out of it. You'd be surprised what people will pay for, even "broken" electronics are valuable to some for parts or as a project.

Sell hammocks made out of old clothes/sheets/blankets, or unique toys for rats. =)

All profits from Momrat Liners pay our vet bills. =)

Thanks, glad you think it is a good idea.

Yeah, I'm hardly well off by any means as a college student, and even I have to clear out my "junk" every once in a while. One of my biggest money makers are old clothes. And LOL yes people will pay for the strangest things!

Good one momrat, I feel stupid because I sell hammocks and liners which helps my vet bills too :emb:

We also sell hammocks to support the rescue but we don't get very many orders, we make maybe $20/month (which still helps, don't get me wrong!) but it's definitely not enough to run a rescue off of :giggle:

Even now, I'm sitting at my desk looking around and I can pick out probably half a dozen things I could sell tomorrow on Kijiji. Haha!

I am thinking about selling hammocks locally with my vet, they take a proffit. Then the funds could be added to my account. I was thinking not for vet bills but for emergency PTS since that always is needed at the worst time. I have tons I could sell but I give everything away to my local SPCA thrit store and they love me for it cause my stuff sells. I got a few computers that could go though.

You can also go to your vet and add money to your account each time you have a windfall. This way, the money is not burning a hole in your pocket but instead sitting on the account waiting to be used.

I recycle bottles/cans/etc.
Any change I have goes into a jar.
I always take so much money a week out of paychecks.

jorats said:
You can also go to your vet and add money to your account each time you have a windfall. This way, the money is not burning a hole in your pocket but instead sitting on the account waiting to be used.

Hehe too bad it costs me $24 to get there. But great idea for when our car makes its way back!

PitLuvs said:
jorats said:

Hehe too bad it costs me $24 to get there. But great idea for when our car makes its way back!

If you have a debit card, I'm pretty sure you can easily do a transfer, or make a "payment" using your debit info over the phone?

These are all really good ideas :)

When I learned that I was getting back into the world of rats I opened a Canada Savings Bond through work. Each paycheque I have $50 deducted and put into the account. The great thing about a CSB is that 1-I don't notice it since I never had it, and 2 - you can take it out whenever you do need it throughout the year. So far I have $200 in it (with another $50 being added next Friday) and it just gives me the peace of mind knowing it's there. At the end of the year when it is up for renew I will be taking half and putting it into actual investments while leaving the other half in there in case I need it before it starts building up again.

I've paid for all my vet bills making a little extra art (i'm an illustrator).
Here's a very tiny example ^_^
Miaratty.png

Most of my work is custom made for the customer, but i guess you can also sell your paintings or cards on ebay!... It can be a fun hobby :)

maria-mar said:
I've paid for all my vet bills making a little extra art (i'm an illustrator).
Here's a very tiny example ^_^
Miaratty.png

Most of my work is custom made for the customer, but i guess you can also sell your paintings or cards on ebay!... It can be a fun hobby :)

OMG! Great work! You should post your services in our garage sale section.

Gah, I cut corners everywhere when spending for myself - its amazing how much you save when buying only the bare essentials, second-hand stuff, or even just curbing the urge to splurge.

Change jar is a brilliant idea. I knew someone who saved a huge amount for her wedding that way.

How about pet-sitting or pet care for someone else with small critters?

this reminds me that I really need to have a garage sale in the spring. I don't have the time to do all the phoning and emailing for kijiji, but a one-time sale would be great.

What we do around our place is for birthdays and other special days we ask for money on the vet accounts. For example, for mother's day or father's day Nic and I put money on my parent's vet account for their gift.

Pet sitting is a great idea, I like that one a lot and may use it, just remember (not directed at you, just the general) to maintain quarantine by not keeping rodents in your house, and waiting three hours between visits (I've found the easiest way to visit someone with rats for me is to go before work so I won't be home for very long).

the way i have found it easy to raise some extra cash for vet bills:

1) Change Jar, as mentioned before EASY way to save money with it.

2) weekly deposits into the change jar(which is label VET FUNDS) from paychecks.

3) the "change jar" (i use plastic PB&J jars) is normally an easy place to wanna dive into so i super glue the lid on :p its plastic so when its full we use a box cutting knife and carefully cut the top off take it into the bank cash it in for bills and start again with the bills on the bottom of the jar.

4) Using random things to make some small extra cash, i have a HUGE magic card collection (yea i'm a geek) if my friends want certain cards they give me like 2$ per card..... i have over 1000 of these lol its an easy way to make some money.

5) arts and crafts!
-i own allot of lapidary equipment(i make the stones that people sell in gift shops, make jewelery out of ect ect) pop those suckers up on ebay when they are done and you can make a couple bucks off each stone. (depending on size the smaller the less its worth)
-Clay Models of stuff, most of my stuff for this is currently in storage so i haven't really done anything lately my last commission was for one was for my old high school english teachers, i was commissioned by her daughter to make kermit the frog as some kind of Shakespeare character.

6)Bake sale, if you can cook do it! you can sell it like a garage sale. i make candies, chocolates, cookies, cakes, pies ect ect.

7) cut corners on stuff and shop with coupons! you can save SO MUCH money when you shop if you use coupons and dont buy brand names, also stock up on stuff when its on sale that way you don't buy at full price, ALSO it is possible to get stuff free at the register with coupons (if you have something that is normally lets say 6$ and you have a 3.00$ off coupon from the manufacturer, if you see it on sale somewhere for $2.99 you get it free.) also buying no name and buying second hand can save you TONS of money.

8) so you got money for your birthday? don't go spend it all save back 25-50% and spend the rest.

9) i also did this: cut my cell phone bill back i revised my plan so i wasn't paying for things i didn't need while the cost of certain features went up overall i cut costs by eliminating things i didn't need from my plans. (i saved an extra 15$ a month doing this)

this is what works for me, gives me extra cash to put in savings

gosh that was alot to type :thud:

I lost my job for a year and went from 30k to barely able to pay my bills. There were a few things that really worked for me that enabled the animals life style at least to not change much.

Write a budget and include a realistic amount for your pets for their "everyday" supplies, food etc. Any money that is left over monthly from the pet supplies goes into an account just for the animals.

As others have said, setup the recurring deposit into an account monthly or bi-weekly with paychecks for the animals. I find that by having it automated into their own account I don't even think about it or miss it.

Write a list before you leave! Its amazing how much stuff you pick up when you don't think about it.

Don't shop big box! It seems more expensive shopping at smaller stores, but I found a good local produce store/deli and I saved a huge amount of money. I cut down on the "stuff" I bought and even ended up eating way healthier.

eBay the odd item here and there. Whenever I do a purge there is a give away, eBay and trash box. :)

This last one is a bit odd but if you work in an office with a lot of women. Avon! I recently started to sell and was VERY skeptical. Sometimes I don't make a lot (enough to cover expenses) but I made $60 one campaign! and the more I sell the more my name gets around

Back