rabbits

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it e. cuniculi that your bunny was diagnosed with? Sounds like it... amazing that it was diagnosed at such a young age. Most people probably don't do blood work for their bunnies so don't catch it until signs appear.

Is she being treated with fenbendazole?

Good for you for giving her such great care, and lucky to find a great vet!

I have no idea what either of terms mean. Our daughter has been keeping up on this more than myself. It was detected when they took blood tests before she was spayed. They said that two of the blood levels were high. One was to do with the liver and the other the kidneys. They said it was a parasite. They put her on meds once a day for a month then did the testing again. The kidney count was back to normal but the liver one was still high. They gave her a IV when they did spay surgery. They also did a biopsy of the liver. Is this making any sense. It is hard to follow sometimes as I am not a bunny expert.

Ann

Okay it sounds like e.c. :) It's a weird parasitic infection that can sometimes be treated successfully, sometimes you're just buying time.

I have a recommendation for the liver if her values are still high, if you wanted to pass it along to your daughter? A friend of mine who works at a very good exotics vet clinic recently had a guinea pig with extremely high liver values. They tried something called "Hepatosupport" which is made by a company called RX Vitamins for Pets and within a few weeks his liver values were back in the normal ranges! It was very exciting.

Here is the link to their site: http://www.rxvitamins.com/ Your daughter should discuss it with her vet, as only vets can order medications from the site. The vet clinic that treated my friend's gp has used this medication since then in a couple of bunnies I believe, also with great success. Your bunny's vet could contact them for dosing information - it's Campus Estates in Guelph.

Back