R.I.P Miloh- 8/14-12/1

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Miloh's wound bled everywhere. Vet can't fit her in until 3 hours, so I will go then. I can get everyone started on meds as well. I just want to catch a break!!! :praying:

You can use plain white flour to stop bleeding; it will congeal with the blood and look awful but will form sort of a scab to slow down the blood until you can get to the vet. :( Sorry life has deal you a tough hand lately...

So vet cleaned it up and put some stuff to stop bleeding. Gave me pain meds for her since she is hurting. I picked up meds for everyone and some hardcore stuff for the two really sick boys. She has lost weight so got some stuff to force feed her until she feels better enough to eat herself. I am hoping all goes well and everyone is back to normal soon!

Thinking of you, Zanya. Having three sick babies at once is so difficult. Was your vet also able to examine the two who have respiratory disease? The video did sound pretty bad for both rats although I do agree with lilspaz68 that the boy on the bottom portion of the cage does sound and look a lot worse than the boy on top.

Thinking positive for you and all of your ratties!

Thinking of you, Zanya. Having three sick babies at once is so difficult. Was your vet also able to examine the two who have respiratory disease? The video did sound pretty bad for both rats although I do agree with lilspaz68 that the boy on the bottom portion of the cage does sound and look a lot worse than the boy on top.

Thinking positive for you and all of your ratties!

Thank you! She was not, but I showed her the video and she got them a doxy/baytril mix, and the humidifier is helping them SO much! They can breathe with it. I will go in tomorrow for a nebulizer treatment and she will examine them further if they are worse in the AM. I am hoping things are looking up soon! (Or at least until I get paid...)

Thank you! She was not, but I showed her the video and she got them a doxy/baytril mix, and the humidifier is helping them SO much! They can breathe with it. I will go in tomorrow for a nebulizer treatment and she will examine them further if they are worse in the AM. I am hoping things are looking up soon! (Or at least until I get paid...)
That's great news! Doxy/baytril is a wonderful combination. Glad the humidifier is helping, too. Nebulization can really help as well. You're doing a great job of following up on treatments!

I hope Miloh is improving, too.

Everyone has shown SO much improvement! Miloh is almost back to herself. So far so good. Even though my table is full of medications, lol. The two boys, Mordecai and Marlowe are not honking as bad. Everyone is happy. :toothy2:

Well, I think this is it, everyone. Miloh has reverted back to when this first started. I think it might be a heart problem? My vet is closed for the next two days, so if she is still alive Monday I guess it might be time to let her go. She was back to her old self, then when I got up this morning she was bad again. I am out of pain meds for her, can someone give me a dose for acetaminophen or ibu? She weighs 310g and the ibu is 50mg/1.25mL and the ace. is 160mg/5mL. She is on prednisone and enrofloxacin right now, but her pain meds will run out by the time she needs them again, so one of these is my only hope. Thanks.

EDIT:
Would also like to ask- she was rubbing her face on me? Does that mean anything? After I gave her meds I was holding her and she rubbed her face on me and 'yawned' a few times. It was a little weird. However, it was not really a PT kind of head bump or anything. It was a short rub against my arm/hand.

Last edited:
If you think it is a heart problem, you could ask your vet about trying heart meds

I am so sorry that Miloh is not feeling well
I hope the pain meds make her feel more comfortable

Miloh was very fortunate to have such a caring and compassionate mom. I'm so sorry you've lost her. My heart truly goes out to you. We all understand how difficult it is to lose a beloved rat. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did everything you could and that you provided her with the best home and most love possible. Hold close to happy memories of times spent with Miloh. She'll live on in your heart.

PS - She MAY have rubbed her face on your hand after you gave her medication because she was trying to get the medication "off". I've had many rats rub their chins along surfaces after receiving medications they didn't like. (But maybe you did mix the meds in something yummy so this wasn't the reason at all....)

In any case, just want to say I'm so glad you had some extra time with Miloh before she went downhill again. Thinking of you, Zanya.

Back