Play with a pregnant rat, or leave alone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she's not actively in labor or showing signs that she is going into labor its alright to continue playing with her. The more familiar she is with you the more likely she'll trust you with her babies. You can and should start handling the babies about a day after they are born. Give her time to rest after delivery.

So you're certain she's pregnant, or just worried that she might be?

I'm a little confused. You say that the accident happened once, but you also say that this is the second time she's been pregnant. Doesn't that mean the accident (her pregnancy) happened twice?

Oh no! D: Sounds like a good time to teach her about rats. Did she put them together last time, too?

Hopefully she will be able to help you with the vet bills. Are you planning to keep all of the babies, or do you have homes lined up? If not, is there a rescue nearby that you could surrender them to? Rat litters can get pretty big, upwards of twenty babies. The average litter is more like 8-13, I think. (Someone here who has looked after more mommas might have more precise numbers.)

Part of why it's not a bad idea to post your location-- even something close to where you are, like your country an state/province/equivalent-- is so people can help direct you to resources. If we don't know where you are, we can't suggest people to contact or vets local to you who look after small animals and provide neutering for a reasonable rate.

Are you going to put up pictures of your fuzzies? :)

Now is a great time to do lots of research into how to look after a pregnant or nursing rat. Do you know about the changes in their nutritional needs? Do you know what megacolon is and what kinds of rats are at higher risk of giving birth to babies with it?

Almost 15 years ago, I had a wee girl who was pregnant when I got her (I didn't know at the time). She was a wonderful mother and everything went well, but I wish I had known more. Things could have gone so much worse. Ask questions and do all the reading you can. This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people who love rats very much.

Back