Persistent, unresponsive URI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I *think* it's pretty safe to use the heart meds, that is the enalapril or the benazepril, to see if there's a response and if so, that means it's a heart issue (BUT it takes a few days though- I am just learning all this myself, and then having to be reminded because I get nervous and/or forget!!)
lasix works much faster so if you tried that, you'd know pretty quickly- he'd improve the very same day, if his problem was fluid in his lungs.

That's what I used for Norry and he responded quickly. Now he's on just the benazepril but if I see him having trouble breathing, I can add the lasix, got an RX for the elixer on standby at the pharmacy and have a tablet in the house if I need to mix some

I'd ask the vet to call in an RX for you and give it a try, I'm pretty sure it's not going to hurt to try (but as always check that with someone else and the vet)

** Norry only has a very rapid heartbeat, he doesn't have any rapid breathing. I keep checking!

So the vet gave me lasix since I've read it can be used as a diagnostic tool for chf. He had suggested 1.5mg/kg once a day and I've not yet checked the ratguide for the recommended dosage for chf diagnostic, so if anyone knows it offhand it would be appreciated.

Since I'm really not familiar with chf at all, or how it works as a diagnostic tool, any advice is appreciated. Does chf cause some sort of fluid buildup pertaining to the heart which is where the lasix comes in, or does lasix do more than just act as a diuretic? My apologies as I've not yet much understanding of chf at this point.

I gotta run out for errands but when I get back I'll check the dose on my lasix for you. CHF can cause the heart to enlarge and there can be fluid build up either in the lungs, or around them, it depends on the cause of the CHF (there are different heart issues as well as lung issues, it's pretty complicated. My brother who just recently died had fluid in his lungs and they initially thought he had CHF but it turned out to be something else- so even with advanced diagnostics in the ICU of a major hospital, it's not always easy to figure out what the problem is)

anyway, the lasix will clear the fluid from where ever it is building up, if it is, and there will be a rapid improvement in symptoms.

I think you want to start at a the lowest effective dose for this, because the lasix can be hard on the body. more later

Back