Parrot-proofing a SCN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

So I finally found somewhere for myself and the whole crew to live that was where I needed it to be and is clean and safe, not to mention ok with the critters so long as no damage, noise or smell.
The issue is that I'm going from a two-bedroom place to a studio (roommate and I are going our separate ways).

Previously, we would just bring whomever was out for playtime into a separate room and shut the door. Kept both ratties and parrot safe.
I'm not worried about ratties getting hurt since they can't magically fly up onto the parrot's cage, but I need to prevent them nipping on bird toes should she land on the cage.

Now, if the cage would fit in the bathroom I'll just bring the girls and their cage in there and close the door when bird is out. But I'm not sure it will, so I need to figure out a way to put up a barrier around the rat cage.

I was thinking of perhaps a sheet of plexiglass on top of the cage and putting a blanket over the sides.

Congrats on the new place! I would think just a blanket over the cage should work. If you want a little added protection you could use coroplast (unless you already have the plexiglass on hand).

I have a 3 foot piece of chloroplast attached to the top of each of my CNs with cable ties (as I store things on top of the cages).
It works well.

Edit: this creates a thick, sturdy top to the cage, and would be easy to wipe off should it become soiled.
Please be extremely careful!

Rats will kill birds ..... so it is good that the rats do not have access to the parrot

Large birds will also maim and kill rats so I hope that the parrot will not have access to them
.... last year a large number of animals were rescued from a local hoarder
The rats had been allowed to run free in the room that housed the birds .... many rats ad their eyes pecked out,
serious tail injuries etc and the SPCA killed all of them, stating that their injuries were to severe to be treated
(I found out after the fact or I would have tried to get them :( )

Last edited:
I bought a plastic runner for carpet and just cut it to length with scissors. It is usually on a roll at the hardware store and you pay by the foot, so three feet should do the top. It has little bumps on the underside to stop it from slipping on carpet. I turned it upside down to discourage my cats from jumping on top of the cage. (Unfortunately it wasn't prickly enough. LOL)

Thanks everyone.

SQ---no worries, everyone is kept separated and has at least a couple feet between cages. The only thing is of course that the parrot can fly and may accidentally end up landing on the SCN when everyone's in the studio.
Of course, I don't think that once my current group of ladies pass on that I will be getting another group of ratties while in a studio due to this potential safety hazard, but I need to figure something out for everyone while they're still alive since no one should have to lose their homes.
Add that to the parrot dust/rattie lung issue (even with HEPA purifiers running) and I really wouldn't think it right to be bringing another group of ratties into the house knowing what I know now.

Back