Oxbow essentials rat food in bulk!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does depend on where you are. If you go to Flowertown chinchillas in Brampton Ontario, you can get a 40lbs bag (they sell you 2 20lb bags for the 40lb price). I don't know if other stores do that though.

I want to get Regal Rat Food for my rats im getting but they are only going to be 5 weeks old, not 4 months old.

So would supplementing with egg and chicken be good?
But how much egg and how much chicken to give?

I want to get mealworms but they arent cheap and seem to have WAY too much protein.

I dont want to give them too much protein.

No. We used to think that would be ok until we found out that that is way to much protein and cholesterol for rats.
If you think you need to supplement their diet, give them organic soy infant formula (the closest thing to a rat mama's milk) thickened with a bit of organic baby cereal.

Why on earth would you want to feed them meal worms?
That is not part of a wild rats diet and even if it were, they are domestic rats.

The recommended diet is:
80% of the diet being a good quality block available at all times
20% of the diet being daily vegs and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, cooked grains such as quinoa, organic pumpkin seeds, a piece of organic cereal or a bit of cooked oatmeal, etc

Last edited:
Back