Norry my sick guy, deciding when its' time last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to spend less time hovering over him, it's not doing either of us much good right now. When he sleeps, he looks very uncomfortable,
then he'll suddenly perk up and waddle around, sniff the air and nibble on some food, and it looks like he'll be ok for a bit longer. He pooped some more and this time it didn't look like it was painful. Peed a bit more too, but not a huge amount like before.

I am exhausted, trying to will him to be pain free and at peace.
I think I need to try to will myself to be at peace with the fact that I've done all I can.

I did tell the vet that I might be bringing him in soon, and she's talked to the other vet who is there on Mondays because she's not an exotics vet but she does know how to do a rat euthanasia

Finn's kidney disease was diagnosed through urine tests. He was on prednisone and SQ fluids. If you truly feel he doesn't have a heart issue I would give him SQ fluids - I think, if she is worried about CHF (this is only a guess) you could counteract the fluid effects with lasix. However, I think if he is dehydrated his body is going to absorbed the fluids.

Finn's kidney disease was diagnosed through urine tests. He was on prednisone and SQ fluids. If you truly feel he doesn't have a heart issue I would give him SQ fluids - I think, if she is worried about CHF (this is only a guess) you could counteract the fluid effects with lasix. However, I think if he is dehydrated his body is going to absorbed the fluids.

thanks so much Vickie

yeh I have heard conflicting things about giving him subQ fluids, even had an online vet say it was ok, even if he had cardiomyapthy, but I do believe it's tricky
I have lasix, but am afraid to use it
it does seem like it would be quite a balancing act....

I am going to do what has been working so far, giving him huge amnts of juicy fruits and veggies and helping him to sit up to eat them,
LOVING on him like crazy when he's up to it

gonna get the pee test strips myself and hope he hangs on long enough for me to test his urine and get some validation, if nothing else, that what I'm seeing is "real"

and I am going to look into the other supplement that helps cats with kidney failure to see if it might help Norry too

I meant if you start to hear the congestion do to fluid around the heart you could remove it with the lasix, but I don't think that would happen. Poor Norry sounds like Finn - we had to put things around the cage so he could prop himself up to eat. We'll keep you and Norry in our thoughts...

I'm running late but i'll come back later and copy all the things from Finns' story that are identical to Norry's- it's incredible to me how much they match

thanks for the good thoughts

while its not good for NOrry to have kidney disease at least i'm not pulling my hair out trying to figure out whats' wrong, this has to be it
that alone is a huge relief to me
i have a plan of action now, and can focus on what has helped him in hte past

Back