Nina still very groggy and chewing at her stitches 3hrs after surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I am definitely calling tomorrow and hoping that vet will come in for us though I know she kids and that is one of the days she gets with them but fingers crossed that she makes an exception and I will definitely insist on more pain meds..She is sleeping again..I hope haha I am gonna check in a second. I won't do the cast cause I would hate to hurt her more but definitely gonna do my best to piece her back together...Thanks everyone so much for the help! We appreciate it much more than you will ever know :)

To me it looks like only the surface layer was opened, and as scary as it looks its not that bad. Tell your vet you either wasted the metacam trying to get it into her or you spilled it and need more.

I am glad she's sleeping, that's what she needs most right now.

See if your vet will sell you a small bottle of metacam ..... some vets will do that
Then you can give her the right amount and will have some on hand if needed in the future

She just woke up and is still having owie stretches when she tries to walk but I haven't put her back together yet so maybe once I get the steri strips on she will not be so sore

Now she is going back to sleep...she ate a piece of food and drank for 3-4 minutes of course I had to bring the water bottle to her and hold it but I don't mind...I am scared to even mess with the incision once I am staring it in the face...It doesn't look as scary now but I still don't want to hurt her....Should attempt to play doctor or just watch it?

She is now awake and watching me watching her haha...I am on the couch with her cage at my feet and the door to it is open and the sliding door is open so the cool air is coming in cause it is stuffy in here! Only light is my laptop..I think we are having a moment haha she doesn't seem in pain now just a bit sore ( her leg is a bit stiff when she walks with it) doesn't stop her from wanting to climb the inside of the cage...

She is definitely in some pain again this morning...her sides are slightly sucked in and she is breathing a bit heavy...I will definitely pick some up for her. Can I use that with the metacam? She doesn't get that again till tonight right?....Vet does open for another hour..

Just got off the phone with the vet (they had to call her at home and call me back) She said to drop her off in the morning to get new stitches and to use neosporin + pain relief on it till then to help with pain which we were already doing but it doesn't help much and we can discuss more/different pain meds then as well....So basically she needs to stop hurting till tomorrow lol...I don't think they believe me that she needed more then what they dosed..probably should have lied....The also say big no no to use ibu for her as well...just the neosporin..

OK this makes me angry...by tomorrow she wont need the pain meds as much, she needs them NOW.

Lie and give her ibuprofen today (right away as you are now chasing the pain. She got 1 mg/kg yesterday, but you said she spat some out? so she didn't get all that much. You can easily give her the ibu full dose right away(as its a middling dose not high)...she needs to be more comfortable, can you imagine the pain she is in? Vets that don't believe in real pain management upset me! Sorry. /endrant.

Last edited:
I 100% percent understand...She is feeling better now :) thanks to you ! She even came out of her temp cage and hung out on the couch with me a few minutes but then I made her go back in cause I don't want her irritating the area anymore than it already is. Won't be the first time I have butted heads with this vet haha but I didn't exactly wanna take it out on the staff cause the just do what she tells them.I think if it was just me and nina we would just hang out and nap on the couch all day but I am going to attempt to clean cages..I'll maybe talk my daughter into keeping eye on her while I do it because I am so scared that the moment I think "oh she won't chew the incision" I will come back to a bloody mess....but for now she is doing alot better and taking another nap.

So should I go ahead and give her the last of her metacam tonight? It will fall right about the 5hr mark from when I last gave her the ibu?

Also her incision looks good right now..It seems to have closed up nicely on its own so I am really debating taking her back tomorrow and letting them put more stitches in it cause I know that will probably put us right back were we started but I do still want to have a chat with the vet about the amount of pain meds she was given and why she couldn't have more....

I'm glad she's doing better. If the rule for stitching rats is anything like people - you cannot stitch after 24 hours. I would leave it alone if its closed and healing no need for more sedation and trauma. Good luck with your discussion and getting them to see their error. Our normal vet (or the one I like to see) doses high, but the other guy - OMG we always have to double his metacam doses. The vet we like has been doing alot of rat research - since we're always there with some rat - and is learning to fix her errors of the past. Again, glad things have seemed to have calmed down. Healing vibes from all of us....

Nina is back to her old self now..Avoiding me all together though she hasn't tried to bite me yet so maybe we are past that :) *fingers crossed* I did go ahead and give me a dose of IBU a little bit ago just in case she might be sore. Her incision looks good still and I think if all goes well the next day or 2 I will try and put her back in with her boyfriends..But we will see cause I am thinking of starting an oldie colony and putting all the slow pokes together so they don't get picked on by the young kids..I didn't take her to the vet but I also didn't get to talk to the vet today either cause I slept past noon which is when they closed today :( guess that is what I get for staying up late 3 nights in a row haha. Tomorrow I will call and try and talk to the vet about the pain meds though at this point I feel like I would just be picking a fight but since I am in the near future going to have our naughty boy schnitzel neutered I will want to make sure he has proper pain management...

Nina is feeling 100% now and her incision looks amazing! so much better than Hopes did at this stage....so think future surgeries will be done without the lasor...She only has from what I can see one stitch left in her leg so she pretty much got them all the first night...as for the staple I swear I saw...even my daughter saw it...I guess we must have been seeing things or it got healed over? I just cleaned her temp cage again and put the hand made cube in there and she loves it! gives her the privacy that she wants without having to get under the hot fleece as it can get pretty warm in here in the day time..

Staples are the very first thing removed by rats lolol. I had a spunky little gal named Brie and she went in with 4 other young girls for spays, and the staff told me when I went to pick them up that Brie was barely awake before she removed hers. Lol.

So maybe we weren't both seeing things but I didn't see it the couple of time I changed out the fleece though honestly I wasn't looking so it could have easily been stuck to the fleece...I am just in awe at how fast her leg is healing...Hope's took forever to heal but I know all rats are different and so on...Just still happy she is recovery so fast :)

Back