new rats sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenna.destafney

i just recently got 2 new friends in the beginning of this month, i got them from the pet store and they were sneezing when they got home. i did read that it’s somewhat normal while they’re getting used to their new environment, but i’m concerned it’s a respiratory infection. they had wood shaving bedding at the pet store and it’a paper bedding now, along with a different food. could that have something to do with it? any answers are appreciated!

i just recently got 2 new friends in the beginning of this month, i got them from the pet store and they were sneezing when they got home. i did read that it’s somewhat normal while they’re getting used to their new environment, but i’m concerned it’s a respiratory infection. they had wood shaving bedding at the pet store and it’a paper bedding now, along with a different food. could that have something to do with it? any answers are appreciated!
pet store rats tend to have respiratory infections due to poor breeding, stress, and poor care(like the shavings you mentioned), If you can get them to a vet I would to be safe, odds are they'll need antibiotics to really kick it out of their systems.

pet store rats tend to have respiratory infections due to poor breeding, stress, and poor care(like the shavings you mentioned), If you can get them to a vet I would to be safe, odds are they'll need antibiotics to really kick it out of their systems.
thank you for the advice, i have had to deal with respiratory infections before but i just wasn’t sure if it was the same since i don’t see any “snot” or porphyrin secretion. and do you have any tips to make it easier with giving her the antibiotics? i know it’s uncomfortable for them, i kind of got a system down with my rat in the past, but i want her to be as comfortable as possible

thank you for the advice, i have had to deal with respiratory infections before but i just wasn’t sure if it was the same since i don’t see any “snot” or porphyrin secretion. and do you have any tips to make it easier with giving her the antibiotics? i know it’s uncomfortable for them, i kind of got a system down with my rat in the past, but i want her to be as comfortable as possible
I have ever mixed meds with baby food and yogurt before, some take it willingly like that

Yes, new rats are prone to sneezing in new environment, even with a clean, fresh, well circulated and filtered air supply. A humidifier helps when heat is on and air purifier helps all the time. No smoking and careful room cleaning is important. I don't sweep, I vacuum with a canister vacuum that I keep outside the room with door closed.
And yes, rats are notorious for Upper Respiratory Infections, many of which are contagious so new rats can get them from your current residents, but also from dusty environments, highly aromic (aromatic?) rooms, dirty cages, poor husbandry, and even from pre-existing dormant infections.
So, you should give them a few days or up to a week at the very most while you methodically eliminate anything that could be contributing to their symptoms, after which you should spare no expense and waste no time in getting them on a treatment plan of antibiotics .

Back