New Home Sneeze? Or something else?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
My rats have been sneezing a lot and we thought it was new home sneezes.However, while one is getting better, the other is sneezing very frequently, and his sneezes sound Juicy(?) and he is being very vocal.He is also trying to burrow a lot, and making a lot of noises. Is this normal? Should i be worried? Thank you <3

Last edited:
Before I give any proper thoughts of mine I need to ask, what bedding is that?

I would strongly suggest switching to a non wood shaving bedding, I personally use carefresh too. The shavings could very well be the cause or potentially making them worse however if after you switch(assuming you choose to) and he's still sneezing I would get him to a vet, the sneezes are accompanied by chirps which can be a strong indicator of an URI and you really want to nip those in the rear as soon as possible

I would strongly suggest switching to a non wood shaving bedding, I personally use carefresh too. The shavings could very well be the cause or potentially making them worse however if after you switch(assuming you choose to) and he's still sneezing I would get him to a vet, the sneezes are accompanied by chirps which can be a strong indicator of an URI and you really want to nip those in the rear as soon as possible
Thank you! When should we be worried?

Thank you! When should we be worried?
It should clear up in a day or two but if it doesn't or things get worse(labored breathing, rough and unkempt coat, lethargic) I'd would bring them to the vet just to be on the safe side

It should clear up in a day or two but if it doesn't or things get worse(labored breathing, rough and unkempt coat, lethargic) I'd would bring them to the vet just to be on the safe side
it has already been a couple days, and we bought them a week ago. They are used to us, and barely sneeze when they are with us. When we brought them to the lady who breeds them (the vet would have charged $200 just to look at them) She said that it was fine, but to watch out if the symptoms get worse. I'm just a little nervous because these are my first rats.

it has already been a couple days, and we bought them a week ago. They are used to us, and barely sneeze when they are with us. When we brought them to the lady who breeds them (the vet would have charged $200 just to look at them) She said that it was fine, but to watch out if the symptoms get worse. I'm just a little nervous because these are my first rats.
I meant a few days after the bedding was changed off the shavings!

Back