Need help with ear infection/PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the doctor for it, she did have an ulcer. They gave me some eye drops for her and it seems to already be doing better.

More problems. :( We took her in for a follow up on her eye today, she's doing well on that front, but she had a small, hard lump on her neck. The doctor says it's her lymph nodes and told me to give her metacam for a few days to see if the swelling goes down. I love my rattie so much, but I think her time is coming... I don't know what to do...

I don't know what your vet's reasoning is to recommend Metacam.
Metacam is an NSAID. It's like recommending Advil.
I don't really see the point of taking an NSAID for swollen lymph nodes. But, I'm not a vet...
Give her lots of love and attention and we'll keep our fingers crossed it's just a passing infection.

The vet said it was because of the anti-inflammatory property of it. If the lymph nodes swell down, it's most likely just an infection. At least that's what she told me. I hope she clears up as well though. I've spent pretty much every waking moment I have near their cage and every of her waking moments with her. I'm just hoping that it's an infection as well since it seems to be hitting a pretty localized area (first ears, then her eye, now throat). I know she is pretty old, almost 3 years now, but I'm still hoping she gets better and makes a good recovery.

So my girlfriend was able to take her in to our normal vet today. It turns out her cornea has popped out completely and the eye is dead, so he said to just leave it be and it'll recede on its own, and it shouldn't be hurting her anymore. As for the Baytril, he said to stop it because he thinks it's what is causing the lymph nodes to swell. He also found a mass in her ear. I was thinking PT, but again, she is still not exhibiting any of the other symptoms. She's still bright and away, has her sense of exploration, holds her food fine, but she has lost some weight so we need to move her to a higher protein diet. Not sure what to do about the mass in her ear, I need to ask him if removal is an option I suppose. Other than that, we're still to give her the ear drops to help the mass not swell more.

She was doing really good on her meds. Gave her the meds yesterday morning and was fine, then I got home from work and she was breathing heavy, couldn't walk, wouldn't eat, and her muzzle/nose/ears were super pale. We had to take her to the emergency vet and she had to be put to sleep. I really miss her.. Thank you all for all the help, it means a lot to me. Good bye Gidget, I'll miss you...

20150327_194750~2.jpg

RIP Miss Gidget, safe journey to the Bridge... :heart:
I'm sorry you lost your little old lady. It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you. :)

Back