Need Advice on Stubborn Abscess/Possible Ear Infection.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facial abscess are very serious and need to be treated very very aggressively.

You will need to get him on a more appropriate antibiotic as soon as possible - like by Monday. And he will need to be on an antibiotic for a very long time, likely months.

- As Jorats said - probably chloramphenicol palminate (bottles of this can be purchased from a vet and have a long shelf life). Dose is 25 to 90 mg/Ib, orally 2 to 4 times a day ..... you will want to give a high dose because low and high does of this med are effective against different bacteria. This is what my vet has used.

- if that doesn't work your vet might try metronidazole, 10 m- 30 mg/Ib , orally 2 to 3 times a day (tastes horrible)

When the antibiotic is changed, you will need to discuss pain medication with your vet because some pain meds can not be given if the rat is taking certain antibiotics (like chloramphenicol palminate) .

Since he may be having a difficult time eating, in addition to his lab blocks and daily vegs
you might try feeding him ensure or organic soy infant formula, thickened with a bit of baby cereal and a few drops of olive oil.
and you can also try making his blocks into mush by soaking them for several hours (or overnight) in cool water.
He would also likely do better with a water dish that can not be tipped over (in addition to his water bottles).

As others mentioned, your vet will need to check and see if the abscess involves his teeth and gums.

good luck,
hope he is soon on pain meds and feeling better

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I took Spot to a different vet earlier today. Unfortunately, they confirmed it was indeed cancer. There was a huge tumor inside Spot's ear that was causing the secondary infection/abscess. The vet told me the kindest thing to do at this point would be to euthanize as the prognosis was very poor :(

I would like to thank everyone for trying their best to help me. Spot was a very sweet, energetic rat until the very end. I will miss him very much.

Back