necrotic tissue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you I will take her asap. I was told that I can give her aspirin to help any hidden pain, is this true? I've read some pretty bad reviews of tons of medication, its so hard deciding whats best for her.

if you take her to Dr Munn he might send you home with metacam which is a prescription pain medication. If not we can discuss OTC pain management, which isn't quite as safe or effective and only lasts 4-6 hours whereas metacam can be given once a day.

Used metacam on many rats for many things without any problems. I would be more worried about that wound and the infection getting into her blood stream. Which makes me wonder why hasn't she seen a vet before now?

I'm giving metacam right now, as I mentioned. If you google aspirin, you would probably find much more than one article or case. :/
Any drug can cause issues or complications, even the cough syrup in your cabinet, the important thing is giving them safetly, in correct dosages, under the care of an experienced professional.

Used metacam on many rats for many things without any problems. I would be more worried about that wound and the infection getting into her blood stream. Which makes me wonder why hasn't she seen a vet before now?
she's a very 'one person' type of rat and she does not like or want other people touching her, she isnt aggressive just not interested and uncomfortable. So i decides to call instead of take her in because I didn't want to cause any stress to an old rat. Both vets I called for advice were vets my dogs and cats see. They both said that its too late for surgery and to just leave her alone because shes old and will die regardless. Neither mentioned any medication I could give her, but pobably because they don't specialize in rats. Thats why I came on here to see rats owners opinions. Before doing anything with her.

How can they decide if its inoperable if they don't see it? That has me confused. It just seems like she needed proper treatment before now. I'm not trying to be mean or anything - I trully believe you love your girl and want whats best for her. Infant advil is recommended for pain in rats too. Aspirin will thin the blood so you may not want that if there is any possiblity she may have surgery.

How can they decide if its inoperable if they don't see it? That has me confused. It just seems like she needed proper treatment before now. I'm not trying to be mean or anything - I trully believe you love your girl and want whats best for her. Infant advil is recommended for pain in rats too. Aspirin will thin the blood so you may not want that if there is any possiblity she may have surgery.

No worries I respect your advice but it's her age. Both vets and rat owners I've met at pet stores have all said surgery isn't a good idea as soon as I told them her age. One vet told me that she's already lived past her life expectancy and she would most likely die is a few weeks, and shes still alive and happy months later. This tumor only popped up about six months ago, she was already over three years old.

No worries I respect your advice but it's her age. Both vets and rat owners I've met at pet stores have all said surgery isn't a good idea as soon as I told them her age. One vet told me that she's already lived past her life expectancy and she would most likely die is a few weeks, and shes still alive and happy months later. This tumor only popped up about six months ago, she was already over three years old.
Yeah, all of that makes sense, with the age and such. However, I do not think they should have said she will die in a few weeks. Some rats make it to 4 or even older. It is rare and crazy, but it is important to help them as much as possible till the end!

Surgery generally is out of the question at this point, but she should still go on some pain meds and maybe antiinflammatories, to help her as long as she needs it. :)

How big is her tumor?

Well, I've only heard amazing things on this site about this Mr. Munn so he is definitely the one to go to cause if something can be done he's the one to do it and lizspaz68 is definitely one of the most knowledgeable ones here. I do wish you the best at the vet and healing/comforting vibes to your girl....

Oh wow, that is big! :(

How large is the wound?

Edit: Sorry I keep asking all these questions. :(
I'm just very interested and hopeful for your situation, because I just found out yesterday that my Oreo, like I said, too developed a ruptured tumor.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that is big! :(

How large is the wound?

Edit: Sorry I keep asking all these questions. :(
I'm just very interested and hopeful for your situation, because I just found out yesterday that my Oreo, like I said, too developed a ruptured tumor.

No problem I'll post another picture. I don't know if hers is a wound though its just black and hard it's never ripped open or anything.

Heres a pic of the bottom

Edit: is that similar to Oreos?
Hmm, no, Oreo's looks different. :(
Hers is opened up in a dime-sized, abscess-like crater almost. She picks at it so it bleeds and I can smell infection/see some pus. These meds really need to kick in.....

I'm happy that your girl's is closed, though maybe that isn't a good thing, I don't know? I'm sure it's less painful for her to not be walking around with a giant hole!

Hmm, no, Oreo's looks different. :(
Hers is opened up in a dime-sized, abscess-like crater almost. She picks at it so it bleeds and I can smell infection/see some pus. These meds really need to kick in.....

I'm happy that your girl's is closed, though maybe that isn't a good thing, I don't know? I'm sure it's less painful for her to not be walking around with a giant hole!
Hers actually just opened, the black chunk is all falling off and I don't know what to do, It's late at night. She's acting ok she doesn't seem like she's in a lot of pain and she let me pick her up and she was walking around the cage. Right now shes laying down. Is there anything over the counter I can give her until she gets to a vet?

Hello everyone, I just wanted to update and ask a few more questions. Unfortunately I panicked and ended up taking her to a vet close to my home that treated rats before. I got her meds which is great but they didn't tell me much that you guys didnt. So her tumor now i guess is completely necrotic. Its almost off, can I cut the part thats not attached to the skin? I dont wanna take her back and pay 100 dollars to ask a few questions if I can get answers on here.

Back