My Little Matilda: It's PT NEW UPDATE pg. 8

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW Rattus, thank you, you are a lifesaver(literally).
I am sending her that link.

I get my bromo from a local pharmacy. My vet calls in the script, I pick it up and the pills are in my clammy little hands by the end of the day. This is a faster option then ordering it online, although online is a good backup :)

At the pharmacy here it is about $60 for 40 pills
the 40 pill have lasted me about 2 months with 2-3 rats on it.

Yay, FINALLY we got this settled.
Tomorrow I am calling the staff there and, witht he vet's instructions, we will get the bromo.

She said: 2.5mg tablets will need to be crushed and mixed with a flavoring agent. Add 1.5ml liquid to make a concentration of 1.67mg/ml. The dose is 0.3mg/kg daily. Matilda would receive 0.5ml daily(1 tablet would be 3 days). 10 tablets per month. We can call in prescription for 10 tablets to start if you'd like. Please let a member of my staff know which pharmacy you prefer.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Just a few updates: Matilda is doing fine, much better than she was when we took her to the vet. She has improved and is generally staying very high up there. Everyday she wants to come out and is excited for food- she's been in love with apples lately.

Today is a month EXACTLY from when we found out this, and she is around 30 months old. I'd say that no declining, but consistent progress on the lowest dose in a month is very good. I bet the bromo will make her even better for even longer. <:3
The only thing that got "worse" is that she developed that cataract, but it is not spreading to her eye and doesn't seem to bother her nor change. I'm very happy and proud of my little sweetie pie.

Great, so I finally got the bromo, and I gave matilda her full dose yesterday. Today, I couldn't even get half in her. It's mixed with applesauce, which she likes, but I guess I'll have to try something else tomorrow.
Does dairy also make bromocriptine less effective like it does to baytril?
She really likes fruit yogurts, and I'm rpetty sure she would take that if I tried.

Also, it didn't help that my moron of a step-father decided to bust in and scream around like an idiot, scaring the crap out of her while I was trying to coax it in her mouth. :I

Thanks crumbilina, I'll try it with yogurt tomorrow. I tried to force it into her near the end, but it was impossible- I even made the ratty burrito and everything.

Tried it with the yogurt- she instantly, after a tiny drop, noticed the taste was off or something and refused anymore-- lover her pred as always, though. I tried multiple approaches, but in the end *finally* managed to open her mouth and just shoot it in her. She is sooo upset with me, poor thing.

In other news, I think it's vet time again. She's been kinda crappy, and her fur is thinning. I know that's a sign of old age and PT, but I'm also thinking about maybe mites. Also, she has a scab/sore on her right arm, and I'm scared she is chewing on it because she can't feel it anymore, which is something the vet warned me about.
She also cannot see, AT LEAST out of one eye, but possibly out of both. AND I'm hearing breathing noises that are too loud and wheezy for my liking. Poor Matilda, I'd really hate to see her on 5 antibiotics; I feel horrible making her eat them.(bromo, pred, baytril+doxy for the possible respiratory issues, and revo. or invermectin for the possible mites).

I suppose I could wait and see if the bromo helps, It's only been three days on it as of now- one of them not even a full dose- but that doesn't do anything for the breathing or fur anyways. Also, my vet has this thing where one appointment is $80, but if it is a follow up appointment within a month for the same pet, the price is $40. So it just makes sense to go now, vs. wait a week and pay double. Even if the vet decides nothing is wrong now, I will still be saving in the long run, as I will be able to brin gher in AGAIN within a month of our next visit, and get two visits for the price of one.

EDIT: OK, vet tomorrow. I'm so nervous already, as always.... :sad3: :cry4:

Me too, I'm so worried. I can't even imagine losing her, she's been with me the longest out of any of my rats, and she is the queen rodent of my heart...

Just got back from the vet.

I was given revolution for all of my rats, as well as 30days of doxy and baytril for Matilda. So at the moment, she is on 4 antibiotics plus the revolution which I will give this weekend and scrub the cage raw.

Another problem: the vet also found a lump right next to her wiener. I never even noticed this ever. She said that it looks sebaceous to her, right under the skin, and it is a darker gray/blackish in color. I am wondering if it is an abscess? The vet wanted to do a check, by taking some cells with a needle and looking under a microscope, but for some reason it was very expensive and we decided that if it is a tumor, we can't do much anyways, and if it is an abscess- the baytril/doxy will help anyways. I will try doing warm compresses, and if nothing changes, I guess I'll bring her in to have the cells taken out to check...

Poor little thing, she can't seem to catch a break. I'd treat it as an abscess as well for now. There's been studies that show bromo to be effective on some tumours as well so maybe it will help if that mass turns out to be a tumour.

I KNOW Jorats! Her whole life she was healthy, and now that one thing went wrong, it's a landslide. Still, she is so full of personality and happy go lucky- I love my little Matilda. :)

Thank you amanda, I'll keep it posted here on how she does on all of these meds.

How should I go about the warm compresses? I have no heat pad, sadly. Should I warm a rag up and just press it against the bump?

I will also try to get a picture or video tomorrow, but she is so squirmy, escpecially on her back-- it will be difficult.

Back