Mountain Rd Animal Hospital Moncton, NB

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Well I'm sad to say our wonderful Dr.Dunnett is leaving us at the Mountain Rd Animal Hospital :( Sucks 'cause we really had a good relationship with her. They still do have another small exotic vet which is the owner of the practice. Dr. Gallon. She's been a vet since 1992.
Hopefully she'll be as good as Dr.Dunnett. We're going to miss her for sure.

http://www.mountainrdvet.vetsuite.com/T ... ylove.aspx

lindsayfawn said:
Well I'm sad to say our wonderful Dr.Dunnett is leaving us at the Mountain Rd Animal Hospital :( Sucks 'cause we really had a good relationship with her. They still do have another small exotic vet which is the owner of the practice. Dr. Gallon. She's been a vet since 1992.
Hopefully she'll be as good as Dr.Dunnett. We're going to miss her for sure.

http://www.mountainrdvet.vetsuite.com/T ... ylove.aspx

Lindsay i didnt see this message when i sent you a PM. I was woundering if anyone had any experience with Dr. Gallon or if i should be looking for another clinic in moncton to bring my rats to. Im really dissapointed. :( I finally found a great vet and shes gone.

I sent you a message back lol but anyways just so everyone else knows to. Angie's friend who had 18 ratties highly recommended Dr.Gallon. We were going to see her first but ended up seeing Dr.Dunnett. It sucks she's leaving but at least we know they still have another good rattie vet there. The tecs are really nice there too which is another reason I'm glad they have a good rat vet.
lol they were all swooning over Griffin when I had dropped him off for his neuter.

Sad news for you, although I am glad that you have another good ratty vet at the clinic.

where is Dr. Dunnett going? Maybe there is some good news for another city of rat owners (hope she is not going to Alberta!)

Dr.Dunnett isn't going to be practicing for a little bit from what I understood. She has small kids so that could be why. Maybe she'll make her own practice, that'd be great!

Awwww Dunnett is leaving :sad3: That kinda sucks, I only saw her once but she was so full of positive energy and nice. I liked her alot. And, two vet for the ratties are better than one since Gallon isn't always around. That sucks. :cry4:

Do you know when she'll be leaving?

unfortunately, i have had some very (!) bad experiences with dr. gallon & the staff at the mountain road hospital: i recently had 2 girls spayed and 1 boy neutered and 2 of the 3 ratties died while in the care of this hospital.

i will gladly post the long version of this story here in case anyone is interested - but i have to warn you that it would be a loooong post…

okay… so here i go...

beginning of december, i brought two female rats to the mentioned hospital to have them spayed: cookie, a siamese girl who was born christmas 2011 and hairietta, a hairless rat who was around 8 months. until that point, both were healthy as far as i was able to determine.

my husband & i took them to the hospital on a wednesday and surgery was scheduled the next day. thursday morning, i received a phone call from the clinic and was connected to dr. gallon who informed me that hairietta had "passed away". naturally, i was shocked. she reported that she had done well during the surgery but after waking became very agitated. she also mentioned that they tried CPR when they realized that there was a problem - but to no avail. i don't know, how much time passed between her waking up and her death but it sounded to me like a few hours as several things were mentioned which would have meant taking her in and out of the cage etc...

according to dr. gallon this had only happened to her once in her whole career and she asked if i would be willing to have the rat autopsied. while i didn't really like the thought, i am not squeamish and agreed as i felt that she might gain some insights.

when i did not hear back from dr. gallon, i called again some time later. it turned out that the rat had an enlarged heart and the vet pointed out that this is part of the hairless gene.

huh??? i had done some research before getting hairietta and i knew that - especially in the past - hairless rats were prone to various illnesses. however, those illnesses were mainly due to environmental stresses - not as part of a genetic disorder. please someone enlighten me...
i do understand that anesthetics can be a problem for small animals. however, she did make it through the surgery and things only happened afterwards.

also, cookie was handed back to me with 2 bite wounds - 1 being rather bad - and i was instructed to give her baytril for it.
the two girls had been living together harmoniously but it dawned on me later that both rats would have, of course, been subjected to topical antiseptics leaving an unknown odour on them. i have learned from my active cat rescue days to never place two dazed cats together in the same cage after surgery - no matter how well they know each other. the handling and different topical solutions alter the smell the cats are used to and they will not recognize each other at first. that plus the haze of the anesthetics…

i did not transfer this knowledge to the rats - otherwise i would have brought 2 cages - and i blame myself for this incident because i feel that from what i heard, hairietta could possibly still be with me. however, i find the fact that the clinic is/was obviously also oblivious to what i feel should be well known and, therefore, common practice in an animal hospital rather surprising. so, i am left wondering if that would have caused the agitation: waking up from the anesthetics and being in a vulnerable situation only to find another 'unknown' rat inside her cage?
in addition, the hospital environment is also quite stressful (to which i will say a little more further down).

so, only cookie returned home…
a few weeks have passed and i recently got another rat since i did not want cookie to be by her own. this time i found a young male who adopted me and i named him gulliver.
when i brought gulliver home, i noticed that he had a small lump underneath his chin. again, i contacted dr. gallon, this time sending her pictures of the slightly increased swelling and asked if she felt that this was a tumour or if something else could be causing the lump. (i tend to assume the worst even though i am aware that tumours are rare in males and especially at such a young age.) she felt that there were probably other factors causing this and i agreed to bring gulliver to her and have him neutered at the same time.

i brought him to the clinic past wednesday and the surgery the next day went well without any complications. the swelling turned out to be an abscess which she drained. friday, the day i was supposed to pick gulliver up again, i found a call on our answering machine in the morning. when i returned the call, i was again connected to dr. gallon who informed me that, "sadly", gulliver had "passed away" that very morning. she had obviously already done an autopsy since she was able to report that heart and lung were fine but that he was seen dragging his hind legs in the morning. apparently he then had seizures and… died.

according to her it could have been that he had fallen during the night and broken his back. alternatively she thought that the abscess might have gotten into his brain, causing the seizures. (i am not sure how a drained abscess can do that - so maybe a tech vet can speak to that?)

i have to admit that i was floored. the transport cage i used for him is a hamster cage from hagen and the distance between the roof and the bottom is 8 inches. i can not imagine a young, agile rat to be able to fall 8 inches and break its back because of it. this suggestion sounded rather ridiculous to me and i have to admit that such an 'explanation' did not sit well with me. however, i needed some additional medicine and made an appointment for 2:30 pm the same day.

i was finally seen at 3:15 and had to wait an additional hour for the preparation of some medicine (not joking!). these 2 hours gave me plenty of time to observe the frazzled staff - of which there were plenty - and noticed that only a few seemed to know what they were actually doing. i also realized that this hospital is an extremely noisy place. call me weird but i felt that i could also sense the angst of the animals that were being held there. i have been to many animal hospitals and no vet clinic is free of fear - but there i experienced a level of unease and a tension that i have not witnessed in other clinics.

maybe i am projecting but what did finally break the proverbial straw was the way in which gulliver's cage was returned to me. i had made every effort to supply them with an easy and quick way to keep his cage clean and had outfitted the cage with so called 'pottypads' which are usually used for puppies. the little rat would have had a small litterbox inside, an exercise wheel, a little stuffed cuddle toy and a blanket to hide in. i handed him over with food, 3 extra sheets and an additional small blanket.

changing the sheet underneath everything would have been a matter of 2 minutes, yet the cage was dirty, his small blanket was urine soaked and the toy removed from the cage. not 1 of the fresh pottypads had been used nor was his blanket exchanged. the only thing that was removed though was the cuddle toy. :-((
maybe that was done when they found him in distress but the fact that they did not bother to provide him with a fresh sheet - not even once - during these almost 3 days, i can not forgive.

i am extremely upset. such neglect is appalling to me and i am heartbroken to think that this is the way my little guys had to spend their last hours.

while all this might just be 'bad luck', i am now also left wondering if one of the staff just 'happened' to drop gulliver friday morning from much greater hight than was suggested to me by the vet. i guess, what truly happened, i will never know.

Oh boy. That's not good.

As for the two rats together, I've had two rats and even three rats brought in and not once did a rat bite another rat. Ever. My family and I have had well over 200 rats spayed/neutered so to me, if Hairietta bit Cookie, something else was up. I wonder if the vet is not using proper anesthetics? It's not good and I sure do hope that they reassess their protocol and make some changes.

I am so very sorry.
I have found that heart disease is very common among rats here in the maritimes,
but I have never had a rat die of heart related problems during or after surgery, although it makes sense that it would be possible.
Although we have an amazing vet, one of Godmother's girls died after a spay, I had picked her up and taken her home .... she was groggy and died peacefully in my arms while I was in the process of rushing back to the vets. No cause of death was ever determined. But this is extremely rare for my vet .... I believe that out of hundreds of rat surgeries, it is the only time that a rat passed away.

I frequently have multiple rats being spayed or neutered and they are in the same carrier .... there has never been a problem and to date, I have had 97 rats spayed or neutered. As Jorats wrote, I think that vet is not using proper anesthetics and it is possible that they may be using too much anesthetic - which may be at least part of the reason Hairietta died. "They need to reassess their protocol and make some changes".

As for Gulliver ... I would never use that vet again. I would caution everyone against leaving any pet overnight at a vet clinic/hosp. unless they must be in an oxygen tank etc
While it is understandable that a cage might not be cleaned over the span of one day due to over worked staff, emergencies, etc ... 3 days is unbelievable.

jorats/joanne, the vet was recommended to me by lindsay(fawn) who ran the local rat rescue a few years back. i am under the impression that she had many spays & neuters done at the clinic/by dr. gallon and i am sure that all was fine - otherwise she would obviously not have made this recommendation. i would therefore assume that the vet knows a.) to use gas and b.) how to apply it but maybe they changed something recently - and if so, i certainly hope they will correct it.
while writing this, i just remembered that the vet mentioned that hairietta was coming out of the anaesthetics too quickly... something like this... hmm...

SQ, i am glad to hear about rats being able to be together during surgery after all. i can stop beating myself up over this.
as for leaving them at the clinic: while i would never leave a cat or dog longer at a vet than absolutely necessary, i was assuming that a rat - in its own environment - would be getting some comfort out of its immediate, familiar surrounding, thus feeling safe. that was obviously a mistake and i wish i had my time back!

thank you all for your consoling words - i appreciate your support.

I think most of her experience was with the other vet, Dr.Dunnett.
My comment about leaving pets overnight was not ment as a critism but rather as a caution for everyone re the future.

So very sorry that you and the ratties have gone through this
:hugs:

don't worry SQ, i did not understand it any other way.

on a side note: i am wondering how you guys feel about the fact that vets charge for surgeries-gone-wrong...
dr. gallon waved some of her fees (maybe a third) but i still feel this is a somewhat awkward practice.
in another case, where ca-r-ma.org was paying for a spay during which the cat died, the vet afterwards reimbursed us with samples of revolution which basically offset the charges. (i do see legal implications in play here too and maybe this should become a different thread?)

Thought for sure that I posted on here before but I went with a friend to this clinic back in '08 ish and was less than impressed with the vet. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the vet but have sent the friend a message to see if she does.

The vet was pushing for blood work on a sneezy rat to send to a lab to test for myco. She also insisted the rat have it's lungs xrayed and that it would need to be sedated for the procedure. My friend was very dedicated to her rats and brought them to the vet all the time but despite this they all passed at a young age from tumors/respiratory issues. Not saying that has anything to do with the vet of course. Some just have crappy genetics sadly.

mamarat, how did this work out percentage-wise? did it cut the costs in half or less or... ?

just to close this chapter: today i found a condolence card for gulliver in the mail, signed by the 2 vets i had seen - which somewhat baffled me because the 2nd vet had never dealt with him.

i have to admit that i am not sure what to make of gestures like that... in this case they even provided a foot print from him that would have obviously been taken postmortem.
eerie comma very.

Back