Moose's weight loss journey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another weigh in on Biggest Loser (Rodent Edition)

10.28.14 - 925g
11.5.14 - 902g
11.14.14 -892g

Moose is doing well, I'm really relieved to see the scale numbers going down. Hopefully not too much too soon. He's been busier during his out times, so maybe feeling a bit better. Their food bowl is empty when I'm home from work but I know from weekends the food lasts them until evening.

Also been combing him, he hated it at first but has realized it feels good to have those hard to reach spots scratched.

We are cage cleaning tonight and he is roaming around, soaking up the excitement. Rather than hunkering under the bed like a lump.

Still have a ways to go
View attachment 1838

View attachment 1841

Eyes are looking brighter too
View attachment 1840

Not to be left out, his brother Mo with his rather dashing facial scar
View attachment 1843

Oh wow. That is incredibly awesome. I did it with my own chubbs so I know it can be done safely and effectively and I also have seen in mine renewed energy, activity and interest in their environment but to see someone else with the same results is AMAZING! Keep up the good work.

11/26 - 856g

I don't like that much of a drop in less than a week. They're not running out of food on the current amt, so he's not starving. Gave him a once over and he sounds good, no resp symptoms. Keeping a wary eye...

I moved the mid shelf of their FN down to the lowest setting a few weeks back to make the ramp less of an incline therefor easier for him to use (he wasn't using it at all, now he is). It occurred to me tonight that set this low, I could now hang a very low hammock for him from under that shelf (he's too fat to climb into anything more than 2 inches off the ground). Let him back in after playtime and he climbed right in like he knew I put it there special for him :)

View attachment 1923

View attachment 1924

Moose might be losing weight, but I can tell you my Peanut is finding it..... Oh my poor boy - I'm afraid to weight him! Keep up the good work Moose.....

Maybe we can round up a few more concerned rat moms/dads and get someone to produce Biggest Loser - Rat Edition?

I'm concerned about such a big drop in less than a week. Hopefully nothing serious is going on with him. One of the saddest things about his weight is that he has trouble itching spots like behind his ear, etc. I have caught him trying before, frantic and squeaking those frustration pain/extreme itch squeaks and falling over because he can't reach. So sad, I'd always go over and scratch for him, but I can't be here all day to do that. Today he got his back leg up and, with some effort, was able to scratch his cheek.

That is a big drop, but if he doesn't look in bad health, then I wouldn't worry just yet, specially since there is still food left over in the bowl. Rats when they reach a certain age, they just aren't that hungry anymore. But they would still eat treats and junk if it's offered no matter if they are hungry or not.
Right now I'm seeing the reverse in my big guy. Since the young baby boys have moved in with my oldies, it's back to free feeding and extra treats like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Bastien is gaining weight, and starting to become less active and less alert. Weight plays a significant role in one's health.

Moose Munch began intermittent sneezing this week with some porph around the nose. His weight last night was 802g :/ Fortunately I had an appt for Mariel today so Moose went along as well. Mom took them so I won't get the full report until I get home later, but they sent him home with doxy, enro and clipped nails.

Back