Moose - PT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much in the way of improvement for mister Moose. We went back to the vet Monday because his teeth were overgrown again. Trimmed them, and will check again soon. If he keeps needing trims Dr. P said it would be better to extract.

Even after the trims, he is struggling to eat solids. He struggles with mush, too, but it's hard to describe just how. Going to try to get a new video of him over the weekend and hopefully the wonderful experts here can weigh in.

We added gabapentin to his meds - so now on pred, gaba, and probably ending the doxy/enro this week since his resp is cleared. I will add his weight and the med doses to this post tonight, if anyone can check them I would be hugely appreciative. I worry sometimes my vet may underdose pain and steroids.

He still struggles with things. Can hold and take hard food from me with his teeth, but unable to eat it well. Seems uncoordinated. Hard time walking, seems like his legs do not always want to obey him. His tail thrashing fits have lessened slightly since starting the pred, and I would say he sleeps more peacefully now that he's on the gaba. I would say his QOL is decreasing, slowly, but he still has his bright moments.

EDIT: as far as his issue with solid foods, Dr. P showed us his mouth under anesthesia and there is no sign of injury or other issue aside from the overgrown front teeth. His molars look okay; on his x-ray a few weeks ago, Dr. P pointed out that the area around the molars looked normal, so he doesn't suspect root abscesses back there.

You may want to consider keeping him on antibiotics since the steroids will suppress the immune system. Healing vibes to Moose man

Moose continues to slowly decline.

Monday was his 3rd tooth trim, although they were not as bad as two weeks ago. Mainly the top front right seems to be getting long and curving off. Despite the trims, he still can't figure out solids. He can hold them in his teeth or hands, but not really chew without difficulty.

There is still no evidence of tooth root abscess. He has been on doxy/baytril for awhile now, which I assume would help if there was an abscess. No other signs of oral growths or injury.

His tail thrashing continues. He has quiet days without it, and bad days where he will have a few fits.

My vet and I agree that his movements are reminiscent of Parkinson's. Everything is jerky and slow.

We are starting him on Cabergoline because a) I have some spare and b) there isn't anything left to treat for except PT.

It looks more like PT than it originally did - his back legs worsen, the ongoing inability to eat solids, and recently very dry skin around the head. But he's not confused and is still "all there".

He is also on pred and gabapentin

His brother Mo had two lumps removed today so Moose has a campsite on the floor with me for a few days now; if I house him with his brother I'm sure he'll chew his stitches. Despite all of this, he still bullies him a little. Mo lets him. I could set up a spare cage but my foster girls makes 6 cages now and Moose is so good about floor camping. I'll sleep on the floor so he's not lonely in the night.

Still bright
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421283324.908126.jpg

Foster girl Curly doesn't understand this giant old rat blocking the entrance to her house (no worries, Moose is neutered)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421283348.691629.jpg

Squeakers' maternal instinct kicked in and she kept giving him baths
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421283431.298497.jpg

He nicked the tip of his tail during a thrashing fit, keeping it clean and he's on antibiotics already, but it's still not looking awesome
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421283485.186425.jpg

On his better days he likes to sit in my lap and get loved on.
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421283535.624048.jpg

I Love that last picture. It will take a few weeks for that tail to fall off but it will. we had a "serial" tal biter and it caused havoc on many tails. We had one boy heal, then it got damaged again finally both parts fell off.

Moose got really bad over the weekend. Front limbs kept going stiff while his back limbs thrashed. He died Sunday night/Monday morning. Some sudden bleeding from his right eye just before, so taking that as confirmation it was some sort of brain tumor.

Got home from the hospital close to midnight (my grandma isn't doing well). I'm glad I took Moose out. He passed just before 1 am. Had to go back to hospital at 1:30am, then home again at 4:30 am. It's like Moose waited for that time window when I was home to pass on when I could be there.

As usual, having trouble tonight - there is no soft mushy food to prepare or meds to give. Seems like such an easy night. So sad.

His brother Mo knew things weren't right. I am going to try to move him in with one of my other groups next week. He is still recovering from surgery, so it's no rush.

Will post a memorial later. I'm behind and have about 4 to do.

Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts and vibes. Moose felt them all. It was just his time.

I'm sorry you lost Moose, I just lost my Touille to PT as well. I know the feeling after she passed there was no more moosh to prepare for feedings and no meds to be given. I found myself being able to sleep again only to wake up in a panic that I missed a feeding and med time. It's definitely devistating to lose your little guy so quickly and I extend my deepest sympathy to you, the only down side to rats is their life span. I'm so sorry about Moose.:grouphug2:

I'm sorry Moose has left for the Bridge. I'm glad he waited for you to be home. He must have known you wanted to be with him when he passed. :heart:

Back