Luffy & Simon, Progress Report!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update!

Simon is doing very well! He now seeks me out when I have them in playtime and comes and hangs out with me on my bed. He likes to play with my hand and does a lot of cleaning around me while I'm on my computer. He's becoming a very awesome rat.

Luffy is going much much slower and I'm not sure how long it will take for him to come around. In the beginning he was the more outgoing and now Simon has taken that position. Now he's more withdrawn and when it's playtime he stays in his cage most of the time. When he does run around it's always very quick. It's hard to interpret his behavior for excitement or fright. A new thing he does is when I put him in the bonding pouch, which he always goes willingly, he vibrates. I interpreted this as nervousness, but maybe I'm wrong? He lets me scratch him and pet him, but he's very still and cautious. I don't think he would go in the pouch if it was a bad experience though. I'm thinking he's just going to take a lot of time. :/

I'm glad you are enjoying your time with Simon. Luffy may come around with lots of time and attention or he may just feel more comfortable with other rats rather than people.

When you say vibrating do you know if he grinds his teeth? I'm wondering if he may be bruxing.

No he's vibrating. He's bruxed before and this is not the same. He literally vibrates. Once I let him out of the pouch to run around and even gave him the choice to go home he seemed a bit better. He would take treats and come to me. He was climbing all over my boyfriend when he was laying on the bed and he seemed to be enjoying himself. He's just really hard to read. His body language is all over the place.

Update!

Things seem to be improving still! Simon is just getting more and more awesome, and Luffy is starting to get more comfortable. I've started just setting their cage on my bed and letting them roam around on it while I'm on my computer(on the bed). They're both comfortable with running around me, on me, on my shoulders, on my keyboard x3 It's quite entertaining. They chase each other around and play their games.

An awesome thing happened this morning. Luffy used his hammock! One of the high and long ones. It was awesome. He was super happy and was even boggling and bruxing!! I've never seen either one of them boggle before and I thought Simon would be the first to do it. So excited about that. Luffy still doesn't let me touch him much, or stay near me for too long. But Simon sleeps on the bed next to me and on my shoulders sometimes, I think he's quite comfortable. As soon as I open the cage door he's out and about and usually says hi to me first. :3

I'm still waiting to get them neutered, I have to save up for it. There hasn't been any more hair pulling from Luffy, but I keep a close eye on them anyways. When I let them out, Simon chases Luffy around until the point that he has to pin him down. If Simon extra determined and keeps following him, Luffy will tumble with him. I can tell Luffy is not playing because he puffs up a bit and stands on his hind legs. Simon gets very submissive and as soon as Luffy turns his back, there he is again chasing him. I'm sure neutering will stop Luffy's aggression and Simon's intense desire to mount Luffy.

But that's where we're at. I think they're very happy. :)

Hey, that is a great update! It sounds like Simon and Luffy ARE doing well and they seem happy, as you said. :)

And how great for Luffy to go into the hammock! I can tell by how you described his behavior (bruxing and boggling, awesome!) when you saw him in the hammock that he was excited and happy to have discovered how neat it is to be in one, and he was also probably proud of himself too. :D Good job, Luffy!

Aw that's great things are getting better. I think being prey animals a lot of rats start off pretty scared but with the right kind of socializing they can become amazing pets.

I'm really loving the site http://www.joinrats.com. It talks a lot about socializing and earning trust.

I've used that site it is really awesome :)

I just wanted to say that in the beginning both would freak out when I held them. Simon is fine if not a little wiggly but he sits still for me too, like last night when I was inspecting his scab. He dealt with it. And Luffy! I can pick him up now and he doesn't run away from me. He used to stiffen when I picked him up and now he's actually relaxed (as much as he can be, seeing as he's still uncomfortable with it). But this morning I took him out to check on him and he let me hold him for a few minutes, then when I put him back he came to the door and took a treat! He used to hide after I held him

having rats is the most rewarding thing ever. Everyone should have rats. :3

Back