Looking for male in Toronto

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMC

I have 4 male rats and the group recently started bullying one of my boys to the point of him needing stitches. He's now living alone but clearly upset about it. I really need to get him at least one male rat to live with him. My males aren't neutered so it has to be male. Are there any rescues or rehomes around Toronto? I don't want to support pet stores or breeders. We have a child so they have to be friendly, which is hard to find on Kijiji.

Perhaps four in one cage is causing them crowding issues? Have you tried pairing two groups of two in separate large cages? Also if you get a new male, how do you know they will get along? You might just end up having to get a third cage to house the new one if they fight. Neutering could be an option and then you could pair the lone male with a female.

Perhaps four in one cage is causing them crowding issues? Have you tried pairing two groups of two in separate large cages? Also if you get a new male, how do you know they will get along? You might just end up having to get a third cage to house the new one if they fight. Neutering could be an option and then you could pair the lone male with a female.

The 4 were living in a two story critter nation so I don't think crowding was a problem. Now I have 3 in the top and 1 in the bottom. There is a chance they wouldn't get along but he can't live alone. I tried splitting them up 2 and 2 but they just keep injuring him. Neutering isn't really in the budget since it isn't necessary and might not fix the issue. I prefer to spend my vet fund on emergencies.

A little over a month ago we had the same problem over at the Toronto Humane Society, where four males were being housed inside a two story Critter Nation cage. The three started picking on the one and he had to be separated. A friend of mine adopted him and got him neutered. She will try to pair him with a new friend after that. The other three seem to be getting along fine in the Critter Nation cage, so sometimes it could still be an issue of room, especially if the other rats are bossy.

Depending on the personality of the separate rat if it's more docile or more dominant, you might want to look for one with a similar temperament and then house them in separate cages for awhile, but slowly introduce them out to play together while supervised for a few weeks. After when you want to try and house them together, make sure to place both in a completely clean cage with fresh bedding, so there are no territorial issues right off the bat.

Last edited:
Since you can't afford to neuter or spay I wonder if getting him one or two baby boys would help? They are considered less of a threat. I wonder if Lilspaz has any boys available from the rescue litter she is raising. It might be good to ask her.

They are brothers from the same litter and all got along fine for the last couple years. He's not dominant but not submissive either if that makes sense. He's just balanced. When he has been introduced to other rats he hides instead of checking them out. How do I contact that person?

Since things were fine between your boys and it isn't now the first thing I would do is go to the behavior section of the forum and post a thread there about your situation. Maybe there's an easier fix.

But if it can't be fixed I would rather have my rat with two babies than alone where they can end up neurotic. I would worry that if I got another adult there may be the same problems as what is occurring now.

As for Lilspaz here is the link to her profile: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/member.php?u=7

From there you can pm her to ask. Also keep an eye on the Canadian Rescues and Shelters. Sometimes our members are needing to rehome rats including rescue litters.

These boys are 2 years old and just out of the blue started to pick on the one boy? Has that boy been checked by a vet? Have you done a mite/lice treatment? Rats can get quite grumpy when there's an outbreak.

Yes it started 2 months ago. He has always been the odd one out but I never had problems before. Their vet treated them with revolution 3 weeks ago. They have it done routinely ever 4 months. Their vet didn't find anything wrong with any of them.

I can't even let them play together outside of the cage. They instantly go for him and draw a lot of blood. He's been to the vet 5 times in 2 months for wounds. So he has absolutely no contact with them now. He doesn't go at them. When they are around him he bunches up and stays very still, when he does move its very slow and he freezes if they come near.

Awww your poor old boy :( I wonder if he's got health issues as healthy members of a colony sometimes instinctually try to drive out the sick.

Is your boy good with people, content, relaxed and happy? And just not happy with his cagemates? If so, and at his age, I would keep him alone and give him a ton of attention.

Awww your poor old boy :( I wonder if he's got health issues as healthy members of a colony sometimes instinctually try to drive out the sick.

Is your boy good with people, content, relaxed and happy? And just not happy with his cagemates? If so, and at his age, I would keep him alone and give him a ton of attention.
His vet didn't find anything wrong and he acts normal but if something hide there could be something wrong.

He actually hates people, or is scared of him. When I bring him out he hides most of the time. He never crawls on me or let's me pet him. :(

You are in Toronto?

Would u be willing to have me over to check him? Poor love.

I am very good with rat body language and often take in rats that are just like your boy, and they end up cuddly and sweet.

Do u mind me asking which vet u saw? If u say Dr. Munn I will be confident with the non-diagnosis

His vet didn't find anything wrong and he acts normal but if something hide there could be something wrong.

He actually hates people, or is scared of him. When I bring him out he hides most of the time. He never crawls on me or let's me pet him. :(

The new male may get hormonal, too, and then you will have the same issue again...

Sorry my phone kept saying it doesn't post... :(

I'm not in Toronto. I work there though. Maybe I'm just not seeing something with his language.

Edit: We saw Dr. Mun most times. There was a couple times we had a friend (vet) look at him when he was wounded and needed help sooner than mun could get him in.

I'll get a video tonight. He's my baby so I really want to help him. Should the video be just of him being him or him with other rats?

Back