Kijiji: Need help...not sure how many are left but reaching out!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeder rats in racks, you can stuff up to 6 rats in a bin...although the norm is 3 females, 1 male. 1500 is not unbelievable in this case. They are handled once a week when they clean the bins, usually lifting them by their tails and putting them in a "clean" bin (this means bin is pulled out, dumped and new bedding is tossed in. :(

I got contact back from both the new posters. The "male rats" is someone different then the previous several posts and the guy with 1500 said to txt to arrange pick up

Screencap all the ads and save all the photos, to give as evidence to the Animal Cruelty Inspectors!

Last year I sent the city by-law inspector after a guy who was advertising Dumbo Rat colony and racks for sale in Toronto. The inspector went to check him out and the rats were in Peterborough, so I had to send the Peterborough Humane Society Inspectors to investigate.

I already emailed the photos to Nichole and Shannon so that they understood my concern. I'm going to see the Males myself as I think its likely that she just has too many that she got "for fun" and doesn't care anymore. Whereas the 1500 is super sketchy to me.
I know what the breeding bins looks like lilspaz and I know its technically "suitable" but in this area even breeders can't have that many animals in one dwelling! And whose to say he is using breeding racks? Many use tanks here...I'm sure with such a large set up he does have them but...can't trust people to be smart!

Last edited:
Copies of these ads and photos need to be mailed to the politicians to start to make them aware that such backyard breeding businesses need to be outlawed!

Poor ratties :( These people are horrible... again if you need someone to take some in I will have three large cages in a few days, I prefer females since I have an all female house.. that goes for anyone who would like help rehoming please contact me.

I cannot take any more in as we are still dealing with our hoarder business down here, but I would love to help with supplies or financial stuff. I can also post links everywhere I have online accounts to help get the word out.

As I just lost my job with Petsmart *see my thread Rat Haven*
I am not sure how much i can afford to do. I also now have an oops litter coming in locally and some of those MALE RATs from that kijiji ad. I may need to reach out to afford another bag of food for all these extra mouths. Still have not made any contact with the girl "raven" the SPCA is still trying to gain access to her house. She's evaded them thus far.
The 1500 rat home I am going to personally visit next week to assess and then probably (DEFINITELY) sending in the SPCA.

Will keep you posted into the week as things progress.

And now there is a breeder about 100kms from here who has asfs...she was looking for asfs from me and I wouldn't help her with anything cuz she wanted to breed and somehow she got her hands on a pair and has bred them.

Effin' scumbag people! >:-/ Should get the OSPCA to check into them, especially if they don't have a pet store, getting that many rats and breeding them would be against the by-law in a dwelling.

Last edited:
I went to the home of the MALE rats...omg so deplorable!
I'm calling the spca and children's aid for that matter. Those conditions weren't livable for anything!
They have 3-5 snakes...saw 3 tanks. And they have rats all over the basement. I got a few boys out of there...what I could afford...and the SPCA will have to get the rest. ..I'll get them anyway.
They have sneezes and pory in their nose but otherwise they are ok. Dad was a beautiful pew dumbo and I offered her $20 for him alone...she said no...they are ok with being touched but don't trust being left to stand on a shoulder or arm so thats gonna take some work.
Still fighting to get info from "Raven" on the others but I can help this group now.

Here's Roman (black berkshire) and Peter(agouti cap) (from Hemlock Grove)
Peter looks like my girl Valentine who was adopted a few months back and that's why I HAD to take him and the black berk is so handsome...he's the more outgoing one.
Its pretty clear they weren't fed enough. The little capped boy Peter is eating as fast as he can...and as much as he can :(
I'll keep them updated on my other thread Rat Haven.

Peter
epeta3a3.jpg

qagata2e.jpg

Roman
eda8anur.jpg

u8e4u4yn.jpg

Back