Is this a ZGT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor little Ollie man :(
I really don't like the look of Misha's "abscess" its looking more like an infection spreading through the skin now.

AS for 50 mg a day for Clavamox? OUCH. How much does Misha weigh??

Clavamox is usually dosed at 20 mg/kg twice a day.
So if I made up that pill with 1 ml of fluid (50 mg/ml) clavamox solution you would give 0.2 ml twice a day assuming he is a 500 gram rat. That is 1/5 of your pill, twice a day.

Misha weighs around 640g, and the prescription was for a 50mg tablet TWICE a day, so 100mg of clavamox! I'm so glad i have some knowledge of these meds and knew it was wrong!

Misha's lip swelling is now half the size it was when i last posted, the scab/dead skin you can see in the last pic i posted is still there but it's been draining out from one side (creamy coloured pus)

Misha weighs around 640g, and the prescription was for a 50mg tablet TWICE a day, so 100mg of clavamox! I'm so glad i have some knowledge of these meds and knew it was wrong!

Misha's lip swelling is now half the size it was when i last posted, the scab/dead skin you can see in the last pic i posted is still there but it's been draining out from one side (creamy coloured pus)

OK so if Misha is 640 g, and you mix up 50 mg/ml clavamox (a lot of people use Torani coffee syrups in the US, I have to use caramel ice cream topping syrup with a little water as my sweetener solution), then his dose would be 0.26 ml twice a day.

Ok thankyou, at the moment he's been getting it crushed up in some baby food, he actually ate it out of my hand the first night as they're chewable/palatable tabs, i cut the tab into rough 5th's with my pill cutter. I'll mix up some solution tonight, he should be getting a more accurate dose then.

I really have no idea what it is at the moment, it hasnt spread for sure, the bit of lump furthest back drained and left a scab which is now protruding outwards from the remaining lump, another scab also came up just in front of that, but it hasn't (noticeably) drained. He's still on clavamox (almost a week now) but it doesnt seem to be changing. I think i might take him back to the vet tomorrow but she didn't know what it was either, so i dont know what to do! I'm just so worried.

Here are new pics i took just now.

20160309_224828.jpg

20160309_224737.jpg

I can post the really graphic pics of Newton after his debridments if you want, but there bad. That looks like what we went through.

I'm taking him back to the vet, his appointment is in an hour.. there's a new reddish scabby spot next to his nose tonight that wasn't there this morning, and looks like some pus is leaking out of it. Fingers crossed the vet will do something helpful.

You need to get aggressive before the infection gets into his sinus cavity and/or bone. Have them remove the scabs and clean out the infection. Under sedation of course. Make sure you get pain meds metacam and tramadol. You'll need to flush the area unless its already in his sinus cavity - don't want to flush into his sinuses. Antibiotics!!! He might need to have them cleanded out more than once - the holes will look awful !! I hope you poor boy gets this cleared up

Thankyou, he's booked in first thing in the morning to be sedated so she can see what's inside the lump and hopefully remove it all, will update with results!

Did the infection go up into his sinuses? That would be my fear, once they cleared it out his sinuses would be open to the world. :( This would sadly most likely be fatal :(

Luckily his sinuses are okay at the moment, she was only able to flush out a small portion of it thats the furthest back on his mouth, where a scab had fallen off the other day, she said it was very thick and had some stringy pus in too. There's still a lump left behind she couldnt get anything out of, its too thick, there was also a new pocket of infection starting just in front which she drained with a small needle as the pus was very liquidy.. got some more antibiotics, and pain meds, but it looks like its just going to keep spreading :(

Luckily his sinuses are okay at the moment, she was only able to flush out a small portion of it thats the furthest back on his mouth, where a scab had fallen off the other day, she said it was very thick and had some stringy pus in too. There's still a lump left behind she couldnt get anything out of, its too thick, there was also a new pocket of infection starting just in front which she drained with a small needle as the pus was very liquidy.. got some more antibiotics, and pain meds, but it looks like its just going to keep spreading :(

So you have an opening that does NOT go into his sinuses?

if so, try saline flushes (start just a dribble to make sure it isn't breathed in or goes into the mouth where he will start swallowing). The saline gets into every corner and breaks down the cheesy nasty pus and helps it drain out.

Last edited:
I just managed a small flush, he REALLY did not want me to do it, i thought the first two attempts *might* have got some saline in the opening, but the third one definitely went in, he then tried to lick it off my hand! He's eating baby food as a reward now, i will try to flush again before i go to bed, then again in the morning.. and as often as he will tolerate it

So you have an opening that does NOT go into his sinuses?

if so, try saline flushes (start just a dribble to make sure it isn't breathed in or goes into the mouth where he will start swallowing). The saline gets into every corner and breaks down the cheesy nasty pus and helps it drain out.
Everything about this reminding me of Newton. If you look at his thread that I linked earlier - I have pics of the thick stringy pus in there. Try warm compresses to get the other stuff out. Also, give pain meds 30-60 minutes before you plan on flushing. Sadly, we let him go once it got into his sinus cavity. Watch his teeth - Newton's jaw would shift from the swelling/pus, plus I'm sure it hurt to eat, so his teeth would overgrow.

I have read through his thread a few times, thankyou, he was a gorgeous boy. I asked the vet if the lump was swelling into his mouth much but she said it seems to be all on the outside so far thankfully, but i will be keeping an eye on his teeth. The swelling is less than half the size it was now, i just hope whats left inside breaks down and flushes out.

Thought i would post an update on my boys...

Ollie is still here, the lump on his face is the most horrendous thing i've ever seen. It no longer looks/sounds like any zymbal's gland tumor pictures or descriptions i've seen, and it's not affecting his quality of life still, i think he's had it for about 8 or 9 weeks now, it's so big though, it's taking up half his face and sticking out quite a way, all uneven and covered in scabs. So, whatever it is, it's sheer size and current rate of growth means i'll soon need to have him PTS. A decision made even harder because he's still enjoying life! :(

Misha is still fighting his face infection, since he went into the vet it's gotten smaller, there's an opening on the top of the hard pus that is slowly opening up more, still flushing with saline as often as possible, he cleans his face well after washing which has helped some of the pus come out i think. It hasn't got bigger or spread yet anyway, that's the main thing. Unfortunately he now has a lump that's come up on his chest, i'm thinking mammary tumor, booked in with the vet to get that checked out and see if it can be removed.

We celebrated their 2nd birthday on the 16th of this month.. they're not that old to have all these problems, my heart breaks every time i look at my precious boys.

Misha was PTS this morning. I woke up and half his lip/cheek had gone, rotted and fallen off. There was still infection and it looked like it had started spreading to his sinus cavity, so i called the vet, and took him down.

Didn't expect that this morning.

Back