Is it time to let him go?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs: As I mentioned earlier, he knew he was loved by you and you did the best thing for him. Sending lots of love your way. R.I.P Socrates, rest easy sweet boy :heart:
:rose3:

I stay with all my animals when they are euthanized. I'm glad you were able to be with him to send him on his next journey, and that it was a positive experience.

I am so very sorry for your loss
I am glad you were able to be there for him
I always stay with my pets too, and I allow their friends to say goodbye afterwards ..... we all need closure

{{hugs}}

edt94, My heart goes out to you. Socrates was a lucky guy to have had you to care for him. It's obvious you provided him with an exceptional home and lots of love. I'm glad to hear the euthanasia process went smoothly and peacefully. It makes such a difference when euthanasias are done well. Thinking of you and hoping all of your warm memories of Socrates bring you much comfort. He will live on in your heart. :heart:

My girl Ratatouille had a PT. I had her on Cabergoline and had to spoon feed her baby food and syringe water for her every 3 hours, luckily she didn't refuse meds, food or liquids until she was full. If you have trouble keeping him hydrated I used fruit to help. I picked up assorted fruit bowls(watermelon, honey dew, etc.) and diced it bite size for her and she went crazy over it. I used small jars of babyfood and dipped a plastic spoon in and let her lick the spoon clean.

I was just like you asking myself if I should let her go, when will I know to let her go, how will I let her go etc. it was definitely hard for me but when the day came when she could no longer eat or drink her special diet and I knew she was going to start suffering from dehydration and starving I contacted my girlfriend and she came home, we spent an hour or so with Touille and said our goodbye's and euthanized her at home. I don't suggest home euthanasia for the simple fact most people are not equipped to complete the task humanely and affectively like us, as my girlfriend is a veterinarian.

If you have any more questions I will be glad to help. Hope your sweet boy is doing well considering.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Socrates; it's so hard to see them go. But I'm also glad to know that he had such a loving home and a great life with you. His energy will always be by your side.

Back