Important questions!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likely yes, but both answers likely depend on the laws where you are.

Regulations will likely be different for a domestic animal rescue than for a wildlife rescue, otherwise I'd suggest reaching out to your local rescues/rehabbers. If there are established, respected rat rescues in your area (province/territory/state etc.) you might want to ask them what paperwork is required to get started.

Awesome to hear you're looking to help so many rats. I don't mean this to be condescending at all, but do you know what you're in for? There are likely buckets of rescuers here who could tell you about ending up with 40+ babies at once because someone found a shoebox with four very pregnant ladies in it, or having rescues who don't get adopted because of behavioural issues. (Myself, I couldn't handle it. Much respect for those who do.)

If you get this off the ground, you are, like other rescue operators, a candidate for sainthood. ❤️🐀❤️

Likely yes, but both answers likely depend on the laws where you are.

Regulations will likely be different for a domestic animal rescue than for a wildlife rescue, otherwise I'd suggest reaching out to your local rescues/rehabbers. If there are established, respected rat rescues in your area (province/territory/state etc.) you might want to ask them what paperwork is required to get started.

Awesome to hear you're looking to help so many rats. I don't mean this to be condescending at all, but do you know what you're in for? There are likely buckets of rescuers here who could tell you about ending up with 40+ babies at once because someone found a shoebox with four very pregnant ladies in it, or having rescues who don't get adopted because of behavioural issues. (Myself, I couldn't handle it. Much respect for those who do.)

If you get this off the ground, you are, like other rescue operators, a candidate for sainthood. ❤️🐀❤️

Thank you so much for the important information! I really appreciate it! ☺️

The reason why I asked is because i used to have a very small at home rat rescue, i limited myself to only the maximum compasity of 20 rats then getting them adopted out etc id only accept rats if I had room, and I was very strict on both going over that amount. But the reason i ask is because i stopped rescuing rats a while ago because my mother got sick with cancer and I had to care and support her, so I wasn't sure if that's changed in the rat world over the few years.

Anywho I'll definitely ask around with other rescues and get some tips on things, thank you so much for your help! 😊🐀💕

Back