I'm new & desperately need help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crisis averted! lol

Great advice all around though :) And it seems like you are making excellent changes :) Just make sure the lil buddy you bring home for Fink is also female! :p

drsfosterandsmith.com is where we get our oxbow you will find the 20lb bag is a much better value than buying the 3 lb bags at a pet store.
I rush my first nakie to the vet when his um, man parts started turning a dark blue color just to be told that was normal their pigment will change.:giggle:

Hey, just came across this thread...last post was July 6th. How is your nekkie girl doing? Would love to see an update! I think you mentioned you were getting a sister for her yes?

I was curious too, did you get her a friend? That is SO important! Especially for little babies who have only ever known family and playing with other rats and grooming each other and snuggling at night, things humans can't fully give them. For such a highly social animal to suddenly be taken away from other rats and be alone could be enough to make her depressed and stressed and sickly. I hope you got her a friend or two asap, she will be much happier and healthier.
As for room and cost, any cage that is truly big enough for one can easily hold two (the picture of the tank doesn't really look big enough for even one adult rat), and there is not much difference in cost for food or bedding, and many vets will see two rats for the price of one visit.
Hope she has been feeling better and all is well. She's a cutie!

Last edited:
Hi,
Even though you're getting your rat a brother from the same litter as a friend, I recommend starting the introduction on neutral ground, because rats may forget a previous association. Being brothers, it should go well, but a slow, careful introduction is best. I am glad that your rat is better.
Thank you,
Raquel

I just realized that this discussion had several pages, so sorry if I said brother instead of sister. I didn't read the sex discussion.

A little extra vitamin C in your rat's diet can bring about extraordinary positive changes...we have NEVER fed our rats pet store pellets :naughty:...they have lived long (some over 4-1/2 years) healthy lives eating various people cereal and fruit (watermelon and grapes are the grabby-paw faves) and the occasional treat of a small piece of tasty cheese. Good luck with little Fink!

Is another important reason to have a cage with bars...we usually introduce the noobs by leaving their carrier (about $10-$15) next to the big cage for a day or two so they can get used to each others' scent and presence...and since we usually only get two or three little ones at a time, the carrier is plenty of humane space for the short intro period

First, CongRATulations on your new baby. I'm in VA so, comparatively speaking, we are practically next door neighbors. I'm happy to see that you are heeding some of the excellent advice you are being given. There are lots of rat experts on this board. No one has mentioned that you can feed the baby bits of egg, cheese, beans or other plant based foods until you can get rat blocks. I mourn the fact that we are so far apart. I must have 8 cages suitable for rats, behind my storage building. Just another caution about company for your baby. I'd get another little one as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the more difficult it might become to integrate a new rat into the 'family.' Best of luck to you!

Back