I did it again. Got another Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a tupperware or box with a lid. Drill or cut some air holes in the lid first of course.
I have a salad spinner I use... it's a big plastic bowl with a lid and the lid already has holes in it ha.

I don't know if you have one, but I have also had luck with weighing my girls by luring them into a bonding pouch I have. You can lure them by throwing a treat in it or my one girl loves the pouch anyways. Just weigh the pouch before or after and subtract the weight of the pouch.

Last edited:
Will try, Velo! Thanks!
Matteo weighs 369G, and is on 0.07cc every 12 hours. "Biomox Suspension 15ml". Does this seem accurate? Thanks in advance.

Santa, would you confirm the concentration of the medication?

ETA - Zanya, not Santa! Hahaha, stupid auto correct!

Last edited:
hey zanya does it say the actual mg per ml? i believe that just tells how much in in the bottle? I could be wrong. By the way what a sweety such a lucky man to have you save him :)

I still think he needs .16 cc every 12 hours, since I used 50mg/ml for my math. Anyone is welcome to check my math or run the numbers again though. XP

Ya, according to the calculations, Velo is right. He should be getting at least twice that amount. Let me get Lilspaz on this page. She will know for sure.

Depends - is he still doing it frequently? Or was it just that time?

He usually does it when he's out of the cage for playtime. I don't notice it when he's in his cage, but who knows. Kind of looks like grooming since he licks his foot and then digs but I wouldn't think he would do it so frequently

I would monitor for any sign of a head tilt, and give his ears a good sniff to make sure they don't smell funky. They can get an outer ear infection which you can treat with drops, or an inner ear infection which is much more serious and needs systemic antibiotics and steroids. You can always have the vet check with their otoscope to see if there is any visible debris or bulging of the tympanic membrane.

Alright, will do when he gets his amox. Speaking of that, he's been on it two weeks and is the same. Will it be clearing up at all soon? Or should I call the vet for baytril/doxy combo?

Alright, will do when he gets his amox. Speaking of that, he's been on it two weeks and is the same. Will it be clearing up at all soon? Or should I call the vet for baytril/doxy combo?
On one hand, he has only been on the Amoxicillin for 9 days, and under-dosed for half of that time, so the drug really hasn't had a chance to start working well yet.
On the other hand, for Mycoplasmosis a combination of Baytril and another drug like Doxycycline is the the drug of choice.
You could probably give it a few more days, and schedule a recheck for the end of the week.

Back