How to darken our Critter Nation rattie home?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffmarie

I don't have the ability to place my two story rat cage in a separate room, allowing a door to be closed and all lights to be turned off. Aka, our rats, especially my two females who are affected the most by lack of daily, complete darkness, are at much higher risk for health issues...especially mammary tumors.. I know that providing them with this complete darkness will decrease their chances of mammary tumors significantly. I feel their sleep is also just in general disrupted. With that said, I'm looking in to a way to make (or buy) a light-blocking screen that I can zip-up or something. It seems simple enough but those gals will destroy anything they might be able to reach through the cage bars so it's important that the "screen", or whatever, sticks out away from their reach haha. I realize that Critter Nation makes something similar to what I'm talking about, but unfortunately it appears that it sits flush with the bars so it would have holes chewed in it very quickly, as I said. And, considering how pricey it is, it would likely end up a big waste of money.

Lastly, ventilation is obviously vital, which is sort of at odds with it affording them complete darkness for the recommended amount of time (or at least more than they get now).

Any thoughts, products you might recommend or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Back