Have car will travel...no gas budget :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

Tomorrow is a crucial day! I am only 3.5 hrs from the abandoned rats in Fruitport Michigan. I would like to try to help capture as many rats as possible safely but do not have the budget for gas to get there and home. Likely it would cost about $70 total as I have a very fuel efficient car and usually costs about $10 per hour of driving (as best I can explain my mileage)
Also willing to take any helpers with me. If you can get close to Sarnia (London even) I would be happy to have assistance and a roadtrip buddy (must have a passport or Nexxus pass) as we will cross the boarder at Sarnia to Port Huron.
Anyone willing to assist please PM me. I won't take any money until it is confirmed I am going and easiest I believe would be email transfers. I don't have a paypal account.
If anyone else is going from around this area or near Port Huron Michigan and wants to drive and also wants a roadtrip buddy I can meet you somewhere and go with you!
Thanks all!
I cannot bring any back with me but want to do what I can to help which would be to help get as many out of there as possible before they just destroy the home.

the township has an exterminator coming on Wednesday too ....
I just read the thread on goosemoose and it doesn't sound like any help is coming and doesn't sound like any rescues have stepped up to help

If anyone can take any rats, foster rats, lend cages or help in any way please contact gotrats10 (at) yahoo.com

............... and you can bring rats over the border

Last edited:
There isnt many rescues around here. Carrie and Rhea are both going to get rats but not sure how many they can pull. But there really isnt a lot that can take on a lot of rats, we are about 50 rats over where I want to be so we cannot help at all. they just pulled tons in another state and rat trained them elsewhere. We are filling up rescues faster than the rescues can rehome them.

Even saving 1 or 2 will make a difference.
If you live far away, like I do, but can make space, try contacting a rescue and offer to take in 1 or 2 or .. of these rats from the rescue if they will take them in from this situation
(I just did that) ... maybe this support will help rescues be able to help these rats

... But know that these rats are poorly socialized

I didn't think I could bring unvetted animals over the border!? But I just looked it up and small pets are able to cross if they appear in good health.
I will bring 5-10 with me if I can. Maybe a few more that another rescue can take in.
I am halfway to my goal for gas money.
Anyone in Ontario able to take in any of these rats? They may be pregnant and unsocialized.

Last edited:
I think US doesn't allow unvetted rats in, but I think they let them out, not really sure about that

have you beeen able to connect with anyone who will be there tomorrow?
it's very hard to find info, I found this petition that may explain some ppls reluctance to get involved (a lot of personal stuff, he said she said etc, makes for quite a nasty scene: https://www.change.org/p/fruitport-...ium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive)
but you'd think they'd be spending more time coordinating efforts to save the rats that are left
it appears most of the larger animals have gotten out

OK I found Christine's FB page for the Critter Cafe, this is her most recent post, I don't really understand what she means, do you?

"SO - in these situations - we learn who our friends are (and aren't - wow).
I did reach out and ask for help here............thank you for your help but NO MORE.......
AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO OUR FOSTER PPL -- it should not be much longer - we will indeed be bringing back our babies.....**ALL OF THEM** -
I have repeatedly asked everyone interested in giving a forever home to the foster kids, to EMAIL ME - [email protected] **FOR A LIFE CARE CONTRACT TO ADOPT**.
PLZ KNOW if you have not put in a Life Care contract to adopt - and have a letter of acceptance FROM ME for the animal you are fostering - YOU WILL NOT BE DOING MORE THAN FOSTERING the animals.....and I appreciate your help - more than ever.....
CALL FOR FOOD reuptake - 231-571 - 3802
I continue to help every single animal I CAN AND THANKS TO TRUE FRIENDS -
This has been the most difficult thing ever............."

what does she mean by thank you for your help but NO MORE?!?!?

anyway I posted to her FB page asking what if any help is needed but I don't know if she'll see it

Thats why we're just going....no one is sure footed in helping so if we as a community can even get 3-5 ppl there to gather up who we can safely. I have a humane live trap as well as carriers and travel cages.
I don't mind sending the small cages to wherever they need to to save these poor critters that have been neglected too long.

• We are in desperate need of carriers,
    Rubbermaid totes and cages with small bar spacing! Any size or condition is accepted! Please contact me via PM for details on drop off or to pick up.

Sterling, try Carrie Dunn
Crazy Critters - Small Animal Rescue & Sanctuary There is a group coming again in the morning. If you can help then, that'd be awesome. Contact Carrie Dunn.

I'm waiting for contact info for her, but if you go to that FB page you should be able to connect wiht the ppl organizing the effort

I am unable to offer any financial assistance myself but have spread the word as far as I can

good luck!!!

I messaged both the email address SQ gave, and the FB group. I will bring all I can with me in my small car. And bring whoever I can back to spread the population out of Michigan

I won't make it all the way to Fruitport as they are going early morning and I can't confirm I can get there that early but I will be rat training bubs back. Can any of my fellow Ontario rescuers take in any of these rats?

OK I found Christine's FB page for the Critter Cafe, this is her most recent post, I don't really understand what she means, do you?

"SO - in these situations - we learn who our friends are (and aren't - wow).
I did reach out and ask for help here............thank you for your help but NO MORE.......
AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO OUR FOSTER PPL -- it should not be much longer - we will indeed be bringing back our babies.....**ALL OF THEM** -
I have repeatedly asked everyone interested in giving a forever home to the foster kids, to EMAIL ME - [email protected] **FOR A LIFE CARE CONTRACT TO ADOPT**.
PLZ KNOW if you have not put in a Life Care contract to adopt - and have a letter of acceptance FROM ME for the animal you are fostering - YOU WILL NOT BE DOING MORE THAN FOSTERING the animals.....and I appreciate your help - more than ever.....
CALL FOR FOOD reuptake - 231-571 - 3802
I continue to help every single animal I CAN AND THANKS TO TRUE FRIENDS -
This has been the most difficult thing ever............."

what does she mean by thank you for your help but NO MORE?!?!?

anyway I posted to her FB page asking what if any help is needed but I don't know if she'll see it

I think she is focusing on all the animals Except the rats.
I think she wants to be in control of the situation and make sure they go to good homes ..... not just to anyone

I don't know about Critter Cafe but Crazy Critters is going as well as some others for the sole purpose of catching rats. Looks like a handful of people. I will be getting updates all day from two of the participants. I will go when I can and do what I can.
Will update this forum/community when all is said and done.
They are going very early and hope to have all day to get this done but sounds like the exterminator is coming around noon so they hope to hold them off and get who they can while quickly triaging as they go. Then they will split the load of rats and triage high risk rats and move who we can safely. I can't bring clearly ill rats across so I will likely take a pair of at risk pregnant females in obvious need of a stable home to have their babies. As well as some healthy yet may be aggressive unsocialized males as I have experience with that and can take lifers if thats what it takes.

Last edited:
This is what I have from Carrie of Yale Road Adoptables
https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/s...23:mf_story_key.7189781315670653748&__tn__=*s

She has 50-60 in her care. Tonight will just involve making sure males and females are separate and then medicating pretty much all of them. They are very unsocialized and scared. Which was to be expected.
Carrie is exhausted. I will head to her place to help as soon as she decides what she needs done. I have volunteered to house any older difficult boys with the understanding that many will never be rehomed.

Back