Halifax Nova Scotia - Dr. Carnegy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
This vet is a nice person but my rats had lots of complications after being spayed and neutered.
Dr. Carnegy will spay and neuter rats for less cost than other vets.

He taped a bandage on my rat. When taken off, the bandage pulled off her hair. It was also painful for her when on her.

Some knowledgeable rat owners in Nova Scotia I have spoken to do not recommend him as being knowledgeable about rats and he is not recommended as a vet to see ill rats.
Carnegy Animal Hospital 457 1575

This is the vet I use. He has neutered 5 boys and spayed 10 female rats for me and has done a great job. I know others have had problems but I have not. I find him knowlegeable. He seems very keen on learning new things and the rats are treated wonderful. He was highly recommended to me by many experienced people.
Carnegy Animal Hospital 457 1575

I have used him since then for spays and none of my girls have had any problems. Edit: girls have developed serious health issues related to the spays.
I wouldn't want to use him for neuters, however ... I think boys may be reacting to the suture material he is using for neuters.

Edit: Another rat owner (Twitch) found that he made a horrible mess of the surgery for a neuter.
He has since changed his suture material. Perhaps this will make a difference to the number of abcesses neutered boys seem to be getting after he does their surgery.

theratlady said:
just so people know he was asked by spca when a certain someone cut off the tails of her rats and said that it was ok to do, humane.

Did I misunderstand...the vet said it was ok to cut off a rat's tail?!

:gaah: sh!t you guys, my girls are getting spayed by him tomorrow! now I'm all freaked out! He loved them at their check up and said they're 3 of the healthiest looking rats he'd ever seen (or does he say that to everyone haha). He handled them nicely and even baby talked to them and talked about how great they to have as pets.

Kerry, several people have had him do spays without any problems afterwards. He is getting a lot of extra experience lately, too. Dahlas, it would be good if you could check out that allegation about the rat tails. It sounds an improbable thing for a vet to say, and it would be good to clear his name if he did not say it.

I will be calling him tomorrow.....
Kerry don't worry about your girls......mine all did great......I even had an older girl done and she was being held by the girl at the desk when I went to pick her up. They were very kind to her and she acted as if she had nothing done.
I am sure your girls will be fine.

i called the spca and reported what was done and the spca consulted him. they in turn told me that he said it was ok to do because they were newborns no different then doing puppies and kittens. that it was not inhumane and they didnt suffer.

he may have changed since then but the fact that he said that makes my toes curl since someone like me had already told the spca that rats need their tails for other reasons like heat regulation and balance and there was absolutely no reason to dock a newborn rats tail much less two litters of them. the spca also knew i was a tech and had experience with rats.

theratlady said:
i called the spca and reported what was done and the spca consulted him. they in turn told me that he said it was ok to do because they were newborns no different then doing puppies and kittens. that it was not inhumane and they didnt suffer.

**shudder** :sad3:

I no longer recommend this vet. He is a nice person and seems ok for easily solved rat problems. His prices are lower.

Dr. Carnegy neutered many of my boys. Almost all developed abscesses soon after surgery, with many having reoccurring abscesses for months.
Two required surgery by another vet to fix problems resulting from their neuters.
Four of the boys he neutered developed neuter infections caused by a medical strain of resistant bacteria. This required several months of heavy combos of antibiotics ... very expensive in terms of rattie suffering, time, and money.

Of the 17 girls he spayed for me, a large proportion have developed problems with incontinence.
Their genital areas and extending as far as half way up their under bellies, are always wet with urine.
They seem to be unable to control their bladders.
This problem developed slowly after surgery and is worsening as the girls age.
Unfortunately I do not have the funds to have another vet operate on them to try to undo the damage I believe was created by their spays.

I realise that a few people have reported positive experiences using this vet.
But in my experience, he is
A vet to Stay Away from if you have rats!!

I don't understand how one person is saying their rats were perfect and had no problems, yet someone else is saying they basically do not know anything about spaying/neutering rats.

It doesn't make sense.
It doesn't really effect me as I'm in Newfoundland, but I have friends in Nova Scotia with rats who see this vet.

I disagree......I have had many rats spayed and neutered by this vet and have had NO problems...The rats he had done for me are now all over two years old and I have had no problems in of them being incontinent. I know longer use this vet as he is an hour away from me......and I have a new exotic vet closer to where I live. But I would still recommend him to people.

As for the tail docking......I spoke to him on that. He said he did not condone tail docking (and please believe me neither do I...I am totally against tail docking, ear cropping or declawing of any animals) but if people wanted it done it was NOT illegal and he would do it if he thought the people may resort to doing it themselves......He said that was YEARS ago and thankful has never had to deal with it.....

Why the SPCA would care if a vet docks rat tails is beyond me....we have legally been mutilating dogs for years. Poodles, dobermans, boxers etc......many breeds have their tails docked (and yes I am totally against it) but no seems to mind this......

Tarah said:
I don't understand how one person is saying their rats were perfect and had no problems, yet someone else is saying they basically do not know anything about spaying/neutering rats.

It doesn't make sense.
It doesn't really effect me as I'm in Newfoundland, but I have friends in Nova Scotia with rats who see this vet.

I believe SQ had problems...I don't know why. But it would be unfair me to let her state her experience without stating mine........
People of course need to ask the vet many questions and make up their own minds.....but I would hate to have someone choose not to use him based solely on SQ's experiences.
Mine where all positive and I found the staff very nice as well......

Tarah said:

It does not make sense to me either but I am being truthful about my experiences.
I have had a lot of rats operated on by other vets for various things including spays and neuters.
Other then simple uncomplicated neuter abscesses (which are reported in the literature as being common after rat neuters and other rat owners have also reported), I have not experienced these problems with any other vets.

I have no idea why the surgeries on my rats went so wrong, but they did.
I am not the only one reporting bad results from surgery by this vet.
(Read what twitches vet said after treating a rat Dr Carnegy had neutered.)
There are also people, such as Dahlas, reporting good results.

I reused this vet a year after my first experiences with him because of good reports by others. I thought things had changed.
The result was horrific.

btw, I too found the vet and staff all very nice and caring.
It was a difficult decision to post about my experiences but people need to be aware.

Back